Snowmobiler OK after falling through ice at Payson Lakes
Ben Brewer, Deseret News
PAYSON — A 75-year-old man was rescued Wednesday from Payson Lakes after the snowmobile he was driving broke through the frozen surface, leaving him standing on top of the submerged machine in the icy water.
Utah County Sheriff's Lt. Tom Hodgson said the call about the accident came in from the group of four snowmobilers just before 1:30 p.m. Wednesday.
One of the man's companions left the group immediately in order to travel out of the canyon and get a cell phone signal to call for help. The two individuals who stayed behind managed to free the man from the ice and built a fire for him just before rescue teams arrived.
Hodgson said the man was standing in knee-deep cold water for about 45 minutes.
Medical responders examined the man on site and reported he was "extremely cold" but in good condition, Hodgson said. He refused further medical treatment.
The snowmobilers said they were aware the lake was there, even though it was covered in snow, the sheriff's office reported. The snowmobile was still underwater in the lake Wednesday night.
Hodgson cautioned that even though it's December and the lake sits at approximately 7,500 feet above sea level, the mountains haven't experienced a "hard freeze" yet.
"Once you start to go on water like that, you've got to be very, very careful," he said. "Any ice or water right now can be very dangerous."
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face uncertain future
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Sandy mailman's plea for books gets worldwide...
- Which U.S. cities are the best for upward...
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting program...
- Wright Words: Younger sister is living...
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of Mormon'...
- Summit County Sheriff's Office solves...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 288
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face... 123
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting... 101
- Mike Lee plotting tricky maneuver to... 88
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of... 73
- Most Utahns oppose Supreme Court ruling... 65
- Does secret southern Utah meeting mean... 53
- Lee takes on new strategy in fight... 45