OREM, Utah -Sammie Jensen broke her own school record by hauling in 22 rebounds as Utah Valley University topped Carroll College, 65-53, on Wednesday afternoon at the UCCU Center.
Tina Doughty led three players in double figures with a season-high 15 points with Jensen scoring 14 points for her ninth double-double, tied for the national lead. Whitney Jenkins finished with 13 points and five steals.
"I knew she might be able to break the record when she had 16 at halftime," head coach Cathy Nixon said. "Hopefully we can get some other players to start playing consistently like she's been playing."
Jensen pulled down nine rebounds less than nine minutes in and had 12 boards in the first 11 minutes before finishing with 16 by halftime. She also scored eight points with Doughty coming off the bench to score 11 points in the first half.
Carroll led 13-10 at the 11:46 mark was limited to just four points the remainder of the half. Utah Valley (4-9) finished the half on a 10-0 run over the last 4:56 with Doughty scoring seven straight for the Wolverines during the spurt. In total, Utah Valley finished the half on a 20-4 run and held a 30-17 lead.
In the second half, UVU led by as much as 18 points, 53-35, with 8:11 to go. Carroll would close within seven, using a 13-2 run to make it 55-48 but the Wolverines responded with seven straight - with four from Jenkins - to push the lead back to 14.
Torrie Cahill led the Saints with 24 points and nine rebounds. Carroll is an NAIA Division I member from Helena, Mont., and is ranked just outside the top 25.
The Wolverines will close out their pre-Christmas schedule by taking on No. 25 Colorado in Boulder, Colo., on Saturday at 1:30 p.m.
James Warnick is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information about Wolverine athletics, visit www.WolverineGreen.com.
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Watch it live: 4A girls soccer semifinals
- The Heisman Trophy tracker, Week 8: A Utah...
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 48
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 39
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 29
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26