OREM, Utah -Sammie Jensen broke her own school record by hauling in 22 rebounds as Utah Valley University topped Carroll College, 65-53, on Wednesday afternoon at the UCCU Center.
Tina Doughty led three players in double figures with a season-high 15 points with Jensen scoring 14 points for her ninth double-double, tied for the national lead. Whitney Jenkins finished with 13 points and five steals.
"I knew she might be able to break the record when she had 16 at halftime," head coach Cathy Nixon said. "Hopefully we can get some other players to start playing consistently like she's been playing."
Jensen pulled down nine rebounds less than nine minutes in and had 12 boards in the first 11 minutes before finishing with 16 by halftime. She also scored eight points with Doughty coming off the bench to score 11 points in the first half.
Carroll led 13-10 at the 11:46 mark was limited to just four points the remainder of the half. Utah Valley (4-9) finished the half on a 10-0 run over the last 4:56 with Doughty scoring seven straight for the Wolverines during the spurt. In total, Utah Valley finished the half on a 20-4 run and held a 30-17 lead.
In the second half, UVU led by as much as 18 points, 53-35, with 8:11 to go. Carroll would close within seven, using a 13-2 run to make it 55-48 but the Wolverines responded with seven straight - with four from Jenkins - to push the lead back to 14.
Torrie Cahill led the Saints with 24 points and nine rebounds. Carroll is an NAIA Division I member from Helena, Mont., and is ranked just outside the top 25.
The Wolverines will close out their pre-Christmas schedule by taking on No. 25 Colorado in Boulder, Colo., on Saturday at 1:30 p.m.
James Warnick is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information about Wolverine athletics, visit www.WolverineGreen.com.
- Discipline a focus of spring ball for BYU; 10...
- A tale of two Hills at quarterback for BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Credit BYU's Rose for...
- Jazz grind out impressive 93-82 win in Memphis
- After year layoff, BYU's Kurtz happy to be...
- Brad Rock: When it comes to rioting, Miami...
- Video: Former Utah Jazz draft pick Luther...
- Morning links: Calipari's subtle jab at Salt...
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70 110
- Utes come up short in Pac-12 battle... 83
- Discipline a focus of spring ball for... 68
- Holmoe assesses the state of the... 48
- Mike Sorensen: How about a Utah-BYU... 44
- About Utah: Replace the prison with the... 41
- Morning links: Is BYU now in the... 40
- BYU looking forward to big showdown at... 27