BYU football: Cougars sign junior college cornerback Trent Trammell over UTEP, New Mexico
Provided by the Trammell family
SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. — JC corner Trent Trammell of City College of San Francisco committed to BYU in late October, but didn't officially became a Cougar until Wednesday after sending in his national letter of intent. Trammell was wooed late by UTEP and especially New Mexico, but ultimately held his commitment to BYU.
"BYU just offers more bang for the buck," Trammell said about his decision. "I've visited there twice and I love how I feel when I'm there and I really like the coaches. BYU offers me a great education and a chance to contribute immediately, so that's why I'm going to BYU."
The 5-foot-11, 185-pound corner will compete immediately to replace Preston Hadley at the boundary corner position. He'll enroll at BYU in January and participate in all offseason workouts and spring football before making his final bid to start come August.
"It's a great situation for me with how BYU plays and with the open spot," Trammell said. "I love how BYU plays defense and my goal is to get in there and work and hopefully earn that starting spot."
Trammell recently took an official trip to New Mexico and was offered a scholarship by the program. He took to New Mexico's program and considered his BYU commit as soft up to the point when he signed his letter.
"I was seriously unsure this morning about where I was going to sign," said Trammell on Wednesday after sending in his letter. "I wasn't playing at all. I seriously didn't know for sure. I thought over it and all of the sudden it hit me that BYU was where I needed to sign and play football. I feel great about my decision and I'm anxious to play on ESPN and all that and get a great education at BYU."
- Dick Harmon: BYU's unexpected NCAA qualifier...
- Guest commentary: Should the Jazz trade their...
- His legacy at BYU secure, Tyler Haws...
- Morning links: Haws, Wright workout for NBA...
- Living the dream: Controlled hoarding for a...
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Syracuse sophomore Hunter Woodhall chases...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 121
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games... 66
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 50
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 32
- Brad Rock: Tackle football for girls... 24
- Morning links: Haws, Wright workout for... 21
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 14
- Guest commentary: Should the Jazz trade... 11