"One's right-handed and one's left-handed. So when you see the left-handed quarterback (Nelson) go in, some of our blitzes come from our right side," Long said. "When it's the right-handed quarterback (Lark), the blitzes come from the other side. The dingbat that's calling the defense had better understand that, which happens to be me. You can't have a different game plan for both because there's not enough time for that."
Mendenhall said he's "not a big fan" of a two-quarterback system, "but based on how Rocky's defense is playing, if there are scramble lanes and we can run a little bit, then obviously that's more suited to a running quarterback. If their coverage is struggling, it might be more suited to the other. There possibly could be a change based on how the game is going. I reserve the right to do that."
For BYU true freshman running back Jamaal Williams, it doesn't matter which quarterback is in the game.
"We feel comfortable with both quarterbacks," he said. "We know we can put 100 percent trust in both of them, because we know they're both going to come out and do the best they can to help us win the game."
While BYU's defense, ranked No. 3 in the country in total defense, has kept the Cougars in games all season long, it's interesting to note that under Mendenhall, BYU is 65-8 when allowing fewer than 24 points in a game. Trouble is, four of those eight losses have come this season, due to an offense that has been punchless at times.
The defense would love nothing more than to finish the season with another memorable performance.
"We've talked about that. We want to go out with a bang," said senior linebacker Brandon Ogletree. "We've had a great year. It would be a shame to go out with anything less than our best. We definitely want to put an exclamation point on our body of work. I think we will."
Offensively, BYU is hoping to channel its many memorable performances from Holiday Bowls past in San Diego on Thursday night with either Lark or Nelson. Or both.
"We're anxious to finish on a high note," Mendenhall said.
- Teeples: The Big 12 simply can't afford to...
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're proud...
- A good life: Former Weber State, NFL...
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- An early look at the preseason Heisman hopefuls
- NFL locals photo gallery: Kyle Van Noy and...
- BYU football: Cougars announce future games...
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 120
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 106
- Utah quarterback Travis Wilson cited... 99
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're... 66
- BYU football: Cougars announce future... 53
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 51
- Teeples: The Big 12 simply can't afford... 51
- Former Ute Zane Beadles donates... 28