Snowboarder triggers avalanche near Canyons Ski Resort
SUMMIT COUNTY — A snowboarder triggered a large avalanche in the Dutch Draw area Wednesday afternoon.
Search and rescue crews determined no one was caught in the slide or injured. But Summit County Sheriff Dave Edmonds said it was an all too familiar scene for emergency officials.
"Unfortunately, that has been a deadly area," Edmonds said. "We've had a number of fatalities."
Witnesses said there were nine people in the area at the time of the slide and everyone was accounted for. Nevertheless, search and rescue teams conducted a search with probes and dogs to make sure no one had been buried in the large slide.
The Dutch Draw region is a popular backcountry ski and snowboard area just outside the boundaries of The Canyons Ski Resort. Despite the area being roped off and numerous warnings posted — including one with a skull and crossbones — search and rescue crews seem to be called to the area each year.
"It's an area we're always concerned about," Edmonds said. "There's no avalanche control that goes on there. It's clearly out of bounds. If you go up there, you do so at your own peril, and everybody knows that."
In February, a 24-year-old snowboarder was killed in an avalanche in the Dutch Draw area. In 2005, an avalanche in that area claimed a 27-year-old man from Sandpoint, Idaho.
The Utah Avalanche Center reported backcountry conditions would remain dangerous Thursday.
- John Jones died in a cave, but his widow...
- 'Our lives have been better for having her,'...
- As Ferguson verdict is read, protesters in...
- Ogden attorney sues Weber School District...
- Utah to pay plaintiffs in marriage...
- Students dress in Sunday best to honor young...
- Prayers, protests raised in Utah as national...
- Mother of slain baby to serve 90 days in jail
- As Ferguson verdict is read, protesters... 67
- Executive action brings 'temporary... 50
- Groups petition for gun bans from... 34
- 12-year-old girl dies in accidental... 29
- Ogden attorney sues Weber School... 27
- Utah to pay plaintiffs in marriage... 22
- LDS Church releases renderings of final... 20
- 'It can happen to anyone': Utah... 20