Kohl's employee accused of making off with nearly $24,000 in merchandise
WEST VALLEY CITY — A West Valley City woman is charged with stealing nearly $24,000 worth of merchandise from her retail employer, including thefts dating back to last Christmas.
Tamara Lynn Gallagher, 48, faces one count of retail theft, a second-degree felony, according to charges filed Tuesday in Salt Lake City's 3rd District Court.
Loss prevention specialists at Kohl's, 3031 S. 5600 West, began investigating suspected theft by Gallagher, an employee, in September. They discovered seven incidents of suspected theft recorded on video surveillance that month, reporting that Gallagher left the store with bags of merchandise without paying for them.
When confronted about the suspected thefts, Gallagher said she had been taking merchandise without paying for it since Christmas 2011, according to the charges.
Gallagher said she would take bags of merchandise, each valued at roughly $300, when she left work. She estimated the total value of merchandise taken over nine months was about $24,000, charges state.
Gallagher said she took clothes for herself and her grandson, steam vacuums and household ornaments. Kohl's estimated the lost merchandise was valued at $23,400, charges state.
Gallagher said she was "shocked" at the amount of merchandise she had taken and signed a promissory note, agreeing to repay the sum, charges state.
Charging documents do not indicate when or if the woman was fired.
- Was pregnancy rumor a factor in killing of...
- Two men charged with vandalizing LDS church...
- Father says daughter was stabbed 46 times
- Missing oilfield worker's body found near Vernal
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Conrad Truman found guilty of murdering wife...
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015 World...
- Teen accused of killing 15-year-old makes...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 87
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 60
- Federal government extends same-sex... 40
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015... 29
- Utahns support bill making clear clergy... 24
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 20
- Support for statewide nondiscrimination... 17
- Owens participates in Rotary Club... 16