Kohl's employee accused of making off with nearly $24,000 in merchandise
WEST VALLEY CITY — A West Valley City woman is charged with stealing nearly $24,000 worth of merchandise from her retail employer, including thefts dating back to last Christmas.
Tamara Lynn Gallagher, 48, faces one count of retail theft, a second-degree felony, according to charges filed Tuesday in Salt Lake City's 3rd District Court.
Loss prevention specialists at Kohl's, 3031 S. 5600 West, began investigating suspected theft by Gallagher, an employee, in September. They discovered seven incidents of suspected theft recorded on video surveillance that month, reporting that Gallagher left the store with bags of merchandise without paying for them.
When confronted about the suspected thefts, Gallagher said she had been taking merchandise without paying for it since Christmas 2011, according to the charges.
Gallagher said she would take bags of merchandise, each valued at roughly $300, when she left work. She estimated the total value of merchandise taken over nine months was about $24,000, charges state.
Gallagher said she took clothes for herself and her grandson, steam vacuums and household ornaments. Kohl's estimated the lost merchandise was valued at $23,400, charges state.
Gallagher said she was "shocked" at the amount of merchandise she had taken and signed a promissory note, agreeing to repay the sum, charges state.
Charging documents do not indicate when or if the woman was fired.
- After more than 6 years, 3 families yearn for...
- Strong winds cause damage, possibly fatal...
- Former BYU, non-Mormon professor writes 'in...
- Millcreek man faces child abuse homicide...
- Sen. Orrin Hatch headed to Israel to meet...
- Scam targets families of LDS missionaries
- About Utah: Want a ride to the past? Matt...
- New strategies eliminate long waitlist for...
- Poll: 66 percent of Utahns support... 51
- GOP primary in governor's race now... 24
- Scam targets families of LDS missionaries 13
- Provo transit project set to begin,... 13
- Chaffetz attorney calls FEC complaint... 11
- Former BYU, non-Mormon professor writes... 11
- Brewvies wants judge to stop DABC from... 10
- Sen. Orrin Hatch headed to Israel to... 10