Tom Smart, Deseret News
LOGAN — After declaring publicly that he will be staying at Utah State, head football coach Gary Andersen may very well be on the move.
Phone calls to Utah State athletic department were not immediately returned.
Prior to Wisconsin, Andersen had reportedly turned down previous offers from Kentucky, Colorado and California.
Andersen has been a hot commodity on the coaching carousel this season after leading the Aggies to an 11-2 mark, the best in school history. Utah State just finished its season with a 41-15 thumping of Toledo in the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl, just the second bowl victory in Utah State school history.
To quiet the rumors, Andersen and Utah State issued a press release on Nov. 30 announcing that Andersen would not be leaving the school.
“I plan to remain the head football coach at Utah State University,” Andersen stated in the press release. “The interest I have received is a compliment to the quality young men in this program. Their hard work and dedication has built a culture that will enable us to continue to be successful at a very high level moving forward."
Andersen’s top assistants, offensive coordinator Matt Wells and defensive coordinator Dave Aranda, reportedly turned down offers in the last week to stay with Andersen and the Aggies. Wells was a candidate for the North Carolina State offensive coordinator position, while Aranda reportedly was looked at by Cal and Texas Tech for their defensive coordinator spot. If Andersen does leave for Wisconsin it is likely that one or both assistants would follow.
Wisconsin is familiar with Andersen. The Aggies nearly beat the Badgers this year, losing 16-14 when a 37-yard field goal attempt with six seconds remaining went wide.
See players reactions on Twitter to Coach Andersen's possible decision.
Kraig is a 2010 Utah State University graduate and regular Deseret News sports blogger. He can be followed on Twitter at DesNewsKraig.
- Mangum 'humbled' to be BYU's quarterback,...
- Utah high school boys basketball previews:...
- BYU's Rose adjusts lineup — freshman...
- Former Ute Delon Wright, former Cougar Jimmer...
- How did they fare? Locals in the NFL roundup...
- Rock On: A bad day gets worse for Whittingham
- Davis High named top girls soccer team in the...
- Doug Robinson: It's the same old sad story of...
- 13th-ranked Utes go south, drop pivotal... 128
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 55
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes disappoint but not... 52
- Utes fall to No. 23 in playoff... 47
- College football: Utes hanging on in... 45
- Morning links: Beehive State coaches on... 39
- Utes lost more than just a game on... 38
- Live updates: No. 13 Utah takes on UCLA... 35