1 of 2 victims shot in burned Sandy home identified
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SANDY — Through forensic testing, investigators Tuesday confirmed the identity of one of two people found shot to death inside a burned out bedroom.
The bodies of Ralph J. Salazar, 59, and a woman were found inside the master bedroom at 2811 E. Ksel Drive (9420 South) about 8:30 a.m. Friday. An autopsy determined both were killed as a result of being shot. Their bodies were found on a bed that was intentionally set on fire, according to investigators.
Because of burns sustained by the victims, detectives were not able to immediately identify them. As of Tuesday, the identity of the woman still had not been confirmed.
Police have not released a possible motive or suspects for the crime. However, Salt Lake County Sheriff's Lt. Justin Hoyal said Tuesday that evidence had been collected that leads detectives to believe it was "probably not a random crime," and investigators were looking at "a lot of possible suspects."
Salazar is the owner of the home that was burned. Records show Salazar also has ties to Bountiful.
Police are asking that anyone with information about the case or anyone who may have seen anything suspicious in the area Friday morning call 801-743-5915.
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence of...
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close South...
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre urges...
- Deer attacks man in Draper backyard, police say
- Driver in DUI crash that maimed 11-year-old...
- Got an emergency? You can now text 911 in 3...
- Two rescued after falling through ice at...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 56
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 39
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 28
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 18
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery... 16
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14
- Report: Communication breakdowns... 10
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 9