1 of 2 victims shot in burned Sandy home identified
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SANDY — Through forensic testing, investigators Tuesday confirmed the identity of one of two people found shot to death inside a burned out bedroom.
The bodies of Ralph J. Salazar, 59, and a woman were found inside the master bedroom at 2811 E. Ksel Drive (9420 South) about 8:30 a.m. Friday. An autopsy determined both were killed as a result of being shot. Their bodies were found on a bed that was intentionally set on fire, according to investigators.
Because of burns sustained by the victims, detectives were not able to immediately identify them. As of Tuesday, the identity of the woman still had not been confirmed.
Police have not released a possible motive or suspects for the crime. However, Salt Lake County Sheriff's Lt. Justin Hoyal said Tuesday that evidence had been collected that leads detectives to believe it was "probably not a random crime," and investigators were looking at "a lot of possible suspects."
Salazar is the owner of the home that was burned. Records show Salazar also has ties to Bountiful.
Police are asking that anyone with information about the case or anyone who may have seen anything suspicious in the area Friday morning call 801-743-5915.
- 'Somebody knows what happened,' daughter...
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please return...
- A beleaguered family — 12 in 4...
- Utah came first for Rep. Jim Matheson, but...
- Rally in support of police also draws counter...
- Fire at Little America Hotel forces overnight...
- Bringing joy through simple acts of kindness
- Gary (and Rose) Neeleman: Q and A with a...
- Hatch 'sorry to see' Lee called an... 132
- Rally in support of police also draws... 42
- Poll: Nearly two-thirds of Utahns... 29
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please... 23
- Police: Gunman said he shot at trooper... 13
- Judge issues summons for 'Super Dell' 9
- Chugging eggnog at office party lands... 8
- Christmas tradition: Judge visits jail... 7