FARMINGTON — Repair work on Farmington Canyon Road has been completed and the road is now open for recreational access by ATV or snowmobile. The road had been closed after a landslide in the spring of 2011.
Both city and Forest Service officials urge the public to use caution on canyon road, as it will not be maintained for winter use. The route is steep and narrow with multiple switchbacks and should not be used in adverse weather or traveling conditions. The road also will not be snowplowed above the Farmington City gate located near the entrance to Farmington Pond.
Farmington will keep the city gate closed and locked during winter months when adverse weather creates dangerous road conditions. The Farmington gate has been modified to allow ATV, snowmobile riders, horses and foot traffic to get through even when the gate is closed so the public can enjoy the recreational opportunities of the canyon.
The city has also improved a trailer parking area for public use in the area just above Farmington Pond so that all recreational users can safely unload horses, ATVs or snowmobiles. The city will only plow snow to the trailer parking lot location for use of the public.
The Farmington gate will be opened for regular vehicle traffic in the late spring as soon as road and snow conditions permit safe passage.
- Utah man accused of rape is no stranger to...
- Husband and wife of 74 years die hours apart...
- 22 songs Utahns love singing in the car
- Ed and Elizabeth Smart make plea for help in...
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy immune system
- Samuelson honored as 5,648 graduate from BYU
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and who is he?
- Unwarranted drug database search prompts new...
- Poll: LDS Church influence over... 60
- Utah GOP leaders going forward with new... 59
- Josh Romney: I won't run against Sen.... 56
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy... 36
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and... 20
- Former Davis High teacher admits to... 19
- Tickets sell out for 'Book of Mormon'... 16
- Gov. Gary Herbert resisting Utah GOP... 14