FARMINGTON — Repair work on Farmington Canyon Road has been completed and the road is now open for recreational access by ATV or snowmobile. The road had been closed after a landslide in the spring of 2011.
Both city and Forest Service officials urge the public to use caution on canyon road, as it will not be maintained for winter use. The route is steep and narrow with multiple switchbacks and should not be used in adverse weather or traveling conditions. The road also will not be snowplowed above the Farmington City gate located near the entrance to Farmington Pond.
Farmington will keep the city gate closed and locked during winter months when adverse weather creates dangerous road conditions. The Farmington gate has been modified to allow ATV, snowmobile riders, horses and foot traffic to get through even when the gate is closed so the public can enjoy the recreational opportunities of the canyon.
The city has also improved a trailer parking area for public use in the area just above Farmington Pond so that all recreational users can safely unload horses, ATVs or snowmobiles. The city will only plow snow to the trailer parking lot location for use of the public.
The Farmington gate will be opened for regular vehicle traffic in the late spring as soon as road and snow conditions permit safe passage.
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face uncertain future
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Sandy mailman's plea for books gets worldwide...
- Utah natives receive rave reviews, make 'So...
- Body found in suitcase near Saltair identified
- What consumers need to know about chip...
- Wright Words: Younger sister is living...
- Which U.S. cities are the best for upward...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 293
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face... 130
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting... 101
- Mike Lee plotting tricky maneuver to... 88
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of... 74
- Most Utahns oppose Supreme Court ruling... 65
- Lee takes on new strategy in fight... 45
- Is report on building prison in Draper... 35