SALT LAKE CITY — Gov. Gary Herbert has announced his intent to restructure the state's veterans and military outreach services.
Herbert appointed retired U.S. Army Col. Gary Harter as the new Veterans and Military Services adviser to oversee the proposed restructuring.
“Colonel Harter’s lengthy military experience, coupled with his professional and academic expertise, will help Utah take better care of our veterans, as well as our military installations and coordination with Hill Air Force Base,” Herbert said.
“The tremendous service and sacrifice offered by Utah’s military women and men should be rightly recognized with a responsive, integrated, and streamlined service model,” Herbert said. “Moreover, we have an economic and security obligation with our military installations — especially Hill Air Force Base — where we must be vigilant and lock step with our federal partners.”
Harter will work with the current executive director of the Department of Veterans Affairs, Terry Schow, as well as the Veterans Advisory Council and Veterans Reintegration Task Force to design Utah’s elevated model of veterans services and outreach.
Schow was appointed executive director of the Utah Department of Veterans Affairs July 1, 2007, having been appointed as the director of the Utah Division of Veterans Affairs in October 2001. He plans to retire in June 2013.
“I am honored to be placed in a position to advocate for and represent military personnel, veterans and their families. Nothing could be greater than to work with all of those who ensure our freedoms are preserved each and every day,” said Harter.
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- Bingham High students walk out over dress code
- Little Emmanuel's journey home a tale of...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Mountain lion caught in Foothill neighborhood...
- Mothers of kidnapped Bountiful girls speak out
- About Utah: Remembering the most brilliant...
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 164
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 84
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 38
- Police release names of officers... 37
- Mitt Romney to campaign for Mia Love in... 18
- Can Utah solve its surprising binge... 17
- Bingham High students walk out over... 17
- Debates ready to start, third-party... 12