SALT LAKE CITY — Gov. Gary Herbert has announced his intent to restructure the state's veterans and military outreach services.
Herbert appointed retired U.S. Army Col. Gary Harter as the new Veterans and Military Services adviser to oversee the proposed restructuring.
“Colonel Harter’s lengthy military experience, coupled with his professional and academic expertise, will help Utah take better care of our veterans, as well as our military installations and coordination with Hill Air Force Base,” Herbert said.
“The tremendous service and sacrifice offered by Utah’s military women and men should be rightly recognized with a responsive, integrated, and streamlined service model,” Herbert said. “Moreover, we have an economic and security obligation with our military installations — especially Hill Air Force Base — where we must be vigilant and lock step with our federal partners.”
Harter will work with the current executive director of the Department of Veterans Affairs, Terry Schow, as well as the Veterans Advisory Council and Veterans Reintegration Task Force to design Utah’s elevated model of veterans services and outreach.
Schow was appointed executive director of the Utah Department of Veterans Affairs July 1, 2007, having been appointed as the director of the Utah Division of Veterans Affairs in October 2001. He plans to retire in June 2013.
“I am honored to be placed in a position to advocate for and represent military personnel, veterans and their families. Nothing could be greater than to work with all of those who ensure our freedoms are preserved each and every day,” said Harter.
- One year later: Slow movement on slide repairs
- Prison inmates start hunger strike, demand...
- Stolen Dodge Charger no match for Hurricane...
- Recreation, crowds and challenges: What's...
- Teen girl killed in Millard County crash
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- About Utah: He never yelled, but he sure did...
- Salt Lake County cities, school districts...
- IRS commits to not target tax-exempt... 48
- Jury orders Siegfried and Jensen to pay... 37
- Prison inmates start hunger strike,... 34
- Salt Lake County cities, school... 16
- Teens arrested, rancher cleared after... 12
- Salt Lake police looking for horses,... 10
- Survey: Utah residents want crops, not... 10
- National report shows high overall... 9