Probation ordered for 2 in assault, death of Sandy man
Duo said they didn't know their friend was fighting with a knife
"(Workman's) death was caused by some terrible stab wounds, not any wounds caused by this fight," he said.
Robert Workman said his son was the type of person who was loved by all who knew him and he tried to be a friend to everyone. He was the kind of kid who told his parents he loved them every day starting from the day he learned to talk.
"He didn't have a mean bone in his body," his father said. "Michael didn't know them or I'm sure we wouldn't be here today."
He pointed out that Curtz and Taylor helped hold Workman down while Hamann allegedly stabbed him and that they never tried to help him or call for help.
"Because of the extent of this involvement, we feel probation isn't a sufficient amount to give these men to feel what they took," Robert Workman said. "We can't imagine the pain our son went through and the pain we've endured. … This is a wound that will never heal in our hearts."
Defense attorneys Cara Tangaro and Wally Bugden pointed to their clients' limited criminal histories, involving mostly minor possession charges, and reiterated that their clients did not know that a knife was involved. They both spoke of the remorse their clients feel.
Boyden spoke multiple times about the "very fine decisions" she had to make in her sentencing decision, taking into account that Michael Workman was killed under "tragic, heartbreaking circumstances."
Parker said he understands the emotions involved in the case, but had to look to what the law allows.
"It's a cold assessment," he said. "You have to call it on what it is. It's not what you feel the moral responsibilities are. It's just the facts are what they are."
As part of their probation, Both Curtz and Taylor must assist in the prosecution of Hamann. A preliminary hearing has been set in his case for Feb. 8.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer for...
- Police: ICU evacuated after man barricades...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 94
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- LDS Church asks court to void subpoena... 11
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument... 9
- Women underrepresented across Utah's... 8
- Brother, sister hugged each other as... 8
- Prosecutors say Jeremy Johnson should... 7