Double homicide: Victims in Sandy house fire were shot, police say
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SANDY — Investigators say two people found dead in a burned bedroom Friday were shot and detectives are now treating the case as a double homicide.
The bodies of a man and a woman were found inside a bedroom at 2811 E. Ksel Drive (9420 South) about 8:30 a.m. Friday. The names of the badly burned victims have not yet been released. Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal said detectives were waiting for additional tests to confirm the identities.
Police, however, confirmed that the two people who lived at the house have not been accounted for as of Monday. Neighbors identified the homeowner as Ralph Salazar.
The two bodies were found on a bed in the master bedroom. An autopsy concluded each victim died as a result of being shot. Arson investigators believe the the subsequent house fire was started in the bedroom, Hoyal said.
The fire was knocked down by firefighters about 10 minutes after it was reported. The majority of blaze was contained to the bedroom where it started.
There were no signs of forced entry into the home, Hoyal said.
Police were still investigating possible suspects and motives Monday. Anyone with information about the case or who may have seen anything suspicious in the area that morning is asked to call police at 801-743-5915.
- Smithfield teen makes Valentine's Day special...
- Scalia's death leaves major void in high...
- France bestows highest honor on Utah veteran
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain from...
- Giant Kennecott dump trucks are sporting an...
- Logan man killed in Idaho car crash
- 3 seriously injured in multi-vehicle crash on...
- Race heating up as congressional Democrats...
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain... 40
- Manti man indicted in Oregon... 36
- Scalia's death leaves major void in... 29
- IRS raids properties with possible... 21
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of... 18
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 14
- State: EPA didn't clue in Utah on San... 12
- Summit County wants rewrite of Bishop's... 11