Double homicide: Victims in Sandy house fire were shot, police say
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SANDY — Investigators say two people found dead in a burned bedroom Friday were shot and detectives are now treating the case as a double homicide.
The bodies of a man and a woman were found inside a bedroom at 2811 E. Ksel Drive (9420 South) about 8:30 a.m. Friday. The names of the badly burned victims have not yet been released. Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal said detectives were waiting for additional tests to confirm the identities.
Police, however, confirmed that the two people who lived at the house have not been accounted for as of Monday. Neighbors identified the homeowner as Ralph Salazar.
The two bodies were found on a bed in the master bedroom. An autopsy concluded each victim died as a result of being shot. Arson investigators believe the the subsequent house fire was started in the bedroom, Hoyal said.
The fire was knocked down by firefighters about 10 minutes after it was reported. The majority of blaze was contained to the bedroom where it started.
There were no signs of forced entry into the home, Hoyal said.
Police were still investigating possible suspects and motives Monday. Anyone with information about the case or who may have seen anything suspicious in the area that morning is asked to call police at 801-743-5915.
- Man stole ring, woman swallowed it, police say
- Wet, cool August delivered more than twice...
- World-renowned rock art in Utah is younger...
- Family of fallen officer Derek Johnson...
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns Utahns of...
- Circleville farmers scratching their heads...
- No timeline announced yet for Cottonwood Mall...
- Why would a parent abandon a child? A look at...
- Attorney general deciding whether to... 41
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh... 39
- Newborn found in trash can brings call... 34
- Becky Lockhart serious about... 31
- Parents say daughter didn't understand... 22
- Gay rights activists to fight charges... 22
- Police reviewing possible nightclub... 16
- Winning plaintiffs in 3 states want... 14