High school boys basketball: Westlake snaps five-game losing streak, crushes Stansbury 68-39
STANSBURY PARK — In their last contest before region play begins, the Stansbury Stallions hoped to snap a two-game losing streak when they faced the Westlake Thunder, who hoped to snap a five-game losing streak of their own.
The Thunder, as it turned out, were the ones that did the slump-busting. Westlake was able to dominate the Stallions all night long Saturday, crushing them 68-39.
“We really played as a team tonight,” said McCord. “We were patient, played tough defense and that translated to a win.”
As it played out, a big second quarter by Westlake completely took the Stallions out of the game. The Thunder took a 39-22 lead into halftime and never looked back.
Westlake extended its lead to 53-30 heading to the fourth, and the game was all but over. Westlake continued its stellar play in the fourth, and finished with a 29-point win.
“Coach (Craig McAfee) was trying to make a point tonight,” said Jackson, who scored 17 off the bench. “The winners in practice got to start, and it was just a little extra motivation for me.”
Stansbury had only five players score all night long, and that was mostly due to the defensive pressure that Westlake provided.
“Everything starts on defense,” said McCord. “We work really hard on it in practice.”
With the win, Westlake moves to 2-5 on the season. The Thunder will face Highland, Idaho in the Tip Off Classic next Wednesday. Stansbury drops below .500 for the first time this season at 3-4, and will face its Region 11 rival Grantsville next Wednesday.
CJ Pronk is a Deseret Digital Media intern and a senior at Stansbury High School. Follow CJ on Twitter @BigCeeJ3113
- Jabari Parker posts photo of himself with LDS...
- BYU's Hill plans to return for senior season
- For his brothers: American Fork family with 4...
- Freshman Jake Toolson leads Cougars past...
- Dick Harmon: Hard-hitting safety Craig Bills...
- 5 things you should know about BYU...
- Felt's Facts, championship edition: Breaking...
- Former BYU star Russell Larson enjoys...
- Dick Harmon: Outwardly lobbying Big 12... 128
- Dick Harmon: Every player on BYU's... 71
- Runnin' Utes lose defensive battle at... 68
- BYU's Hill plans to return for senior... 64
- Utah Utes football: No. 23 Utes defeat... 52
- BYU to welcome FCS team Savannah State... 39
- BYU gets bowl-eligible with 42-23 win... 25
- Brady Poppinga: From an early age I... 24