High school boys basketball: Westlake snaps five-game losing streak, crushes Stansbury 68-39
STANSBURY PARK — In their last contest before region play begins, the Stansbury Stallions hoped to snap a two-game losing streak when they faced the Westlake Thunder, who hoped to snap a five-game losing streak of their own.
The Thunder, as it turned out, were the ones that did the slump-busting. Westlake was able to dominate the Stallions all night long Saturday, crushing them 68-39.
“We really played as a team tonight,” said McCord. “We were patient, played tough defense and that translated to a win.”
As it played out, a big second quarter by Westlake completely took the Stallions out of the game. The Thunder took a 39-22 lead into halftime and never looked back.
Westlake extended its lead to 53-30 heading to the fourth, and the game was all but over. Westlake continued its stellar play in the fourth, and finished with a 29-point win.
“Coach (Craig McAfee) was trying to make a point tonight,” said Jackson, who scored 17 off the bench. “The winners in practice got to start, and it was just a little extra motivation for me.”
Stansbury had only five players score all night long, and that was mostly due to the defensive pressure that Westlake provided.
“Everything starts on defense,” said McCord. “We work really hard on it in practice.”
With the win, Westlake moves to 2-5 on the season. The Thunder will face Highland, Idaho in the Tip Off Classic next Wednesday. Stansbury drops below .500 for the first time this season at 3-4, and will face its Region 11 rival Grantsville next Wednesday.
CJ Pronk is a Deseret Digital Media intern and a senior at Stansbury High School. Follow CJ on Twitter @BigCeeJ3113
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by media...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to Cleveland...
- The original BCS busters: Looking back at...
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not on...
- Utah's Fiesta Bowl championship team: Where...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 commissioner frank about...
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake team...
- Utah football: Pac-12 Football Media Day Central
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 225
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by... 93
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is... 76
- The original BCS busters: Looking back... 46
- ACC media days has some interesting... 43
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not... 41
- Utah's better BCS buster, 2004 or 2008? 27
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to... 26