High school boys basketball: Westlake snaps five-game losing streak, crushes Stansbury 68-39
STANSBURY PARK — In their last contest before region play begins, the Stansbury Stallions hoped to snap a two-game losing streak when they faced the Westlake Thunder, who hoped to snap a five-game losing streak of their own.
The Thunder, as it turned out, were the ones that did the slump-busting. Westlake was able to dominate the Stallions all night long Saturday, crushing them 68-39.
“We really played as a team tonight,” said McCord. “We were patient, played tough defense and that translated to a win.”
As it played out, a big second quarter by Westlake completely took the Stallions out of the game. The Thunder took a 39-22 lead into halftime and never looked back.
Westlake extended its lead to 53-30 heading to the fourth, and the game was all but over. Westlake continued its stellar play in the fourth, and finished with a 29-point win.
“Coach (Craig McAfee) was trying to make a point tonight,” said Jackson, who scored 17 off the bench. “The winners in practice got to start, and it was just a little extra motivation for me.”
Stansbury had only five players score all night long, and that was mostly due to the defensive pressure that Westlake provided.
“Everything starts on defense,” said McCord. “We work really hard on it in practice.”
With the win, Westlake moves to 2-5 on the season. The Thunder will face Highland, Idaho in the Tip Off Classic next Wednesday. Stansbury drops below .500 for the first time this season at 3-4, and will face its Region 11 rival Grantsville next Wednesday.
CJ Pronk is a Deseret Digital Media intern and a senior at Stansbury High School. Follow CJ on Twitter @BigCeeJ3113
- The 1995 NBA draft redone: Was Greg Ostertag...
- Morning links: BYU signee shot in arm;...
- Utah Jazz: Brazilian point guard Raul Neto...
- Jazz fan favorite Jeremy Evans' era in Utah...
- So far, Dante Exum appears to be bigger and...
- Dick Harmon: A more confident Robert Anae...
- Doug Robinson: When money speaks louder than...
- Hatfield suspended from U. football program...
- Morning links: Reviewing BYU's case to... 106
- Doug Robinson: When money speaks louder... 32
- Morning links: BYU signee shot in arm;... 31
- Dick Harmon: A more confident Robert... 29
- Brad Rock: Hatfield, Natson incidents... 28
- Utah football player Dominique Hatfield... 27
- BYU Cougars finish year with five... 27
- Utah Utes enjoy banner year as seven... 18