Famous Idaho Potato Bowl: Utah State leads Toledo 10-6 at halftime
Utah State leads Toledo 10-6 at halftime of the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl behind a 62-yard touchdown run by Aggie quarterback Chuckie Keeton.
Keeton converted a 6-yard rush to gain a first down on 3rd-and-6 in the closing minutes of the first quarter. On the ensuing play, the Aggies ran a triple-option to the right. Keeton kept the ball, got past the defense and took it to the house. The Aggies led 7-3 at that point.
The Aggies added to their advantage just before the half on a 27-yard field goal by USU kicker Nick Diaz. The Aggies drove more than 85 yards in less than 90 seconds but didn't have enough time to score a touchdown. With five seconds to go until halftime, the Aggies elected to kick a field goal rather than risk not scoring at all.
The Rockets drove down the field on their first posession and opened up scoring with a 37-yard Jeremiah Detmer field goal and went scoreless through the rest of the first quarter. Toledo added a second field goal in the second quarter, but was unable to get into the end zone during the first half.
The Aggies are one of the few teams in college football history to not allow a touchdown in the first quarter in any game this season.
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- 11-year-old Salt Lake native once again...
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora of...
- Prep football: Kafentzis, 'Diggers dig out of...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 51
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 49