"It's important that they have a voice and a concern there, and express feedback to us as we go through those processes," he said.
Williams said newer buildings in the Davis School District implement many of the same design considerations Horsley described. Some buildings, such as Endeavor Elementary in Kaysville, have electronic keypads that limit access as well as allow portable classrooms to be locked from the inside, he said.
Williams said that while educators are aware of the potential for danger and try to foresee various scenarios, there are some acts of cruelty that simply go beyond what can be planned for.
"This kind of situation is beyond anything we could compare with past experience or anything we could dream up," he said. "It just boggles my mind."
Williams described the tragedy in Connecticut as the work of a "deranged mind" and said it would likely cause school officials around the country to rethink their preparation and security measures.
"It's a very challenging time in our society," he said. "We have to talk about this thing and have scenarios in place."
Sunrise Elementary Principal Frank Schofield said the school's faculty had not talked about the shooting with students but would be working with parents to help them discuss the tragedy with their children.
"I've got 750 students," Schofield said. "You worry. You put plans in place. You do everything you can to keep kids safe, and every once in a while bad things happen."
Contributing: Kathryn May
- LDS missionaries developing strategies to...
- Snow wreaks havoc across state, curbs travel...
- Police officer suicide needs to be addressed,...
- Rare snowstorm traps I-15 motorists overnight...
- Charges: Magna mom got 13-year-old son drunk
- System failure to blame for delayed Saturday...
- John Swallow lost computer hard drive on...
- Families face uncertainty, unite in prayer as...
- Utah judge could be first to rule on... 112
- LDS missionaries developing strategies... 52
- Federal website fixes allowing more... 44
- Tea Party Express endorses Sen. Mike... 27
- As winter takes hold, needs increase... 27
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say... 26
- Utahns react to death of Nelson Mandela 26
- Gov. Gary Herbert unveils $13.3 billion... 18