Book review: 'Christmas in Cornwall' is a charming British tale
For readers who love a sentimental jaunt through a modern-day English garden tale, “Christmas in Cornwall” may be the perfect fit.
When Clem, a young widower, is forced to leave his study of the priesthood in order to raise his young son, he unexpectedly lands in a position as caretaker of the charming Chi-Meur Convent nestled in the British countryside.
Bookended between two Christmas seasons, troubles brew as a devious investor plots to pull the Chi-Muer house away from the quartet of aging nuns who reside there. Clem and a cast of imperfect but fascinating characters must trust in the powers of heaven to guide them through the struggles that threaten to destroy their idyllic way of life.
Drizzled with glimpses of convent life and English colloquialisms, this book drips a color and life of its own. The plot is simple and feels a bit plain, but the characters are sincere. Like other books by Marcia Willet the story invites readers to settle in and sip the charm of a sweet holiday story.
Melissa DeMoux is a stay-at-home mother of six young children who lives in West Valley City, Utah. Her email is firstname.lastname@example.org and she blogs about her adventures in motherhood at demouxfamily.blogspot.com.
- Wright Words: Christmas Jars tradition...
- Julie Andrews missed NBC's live 'Sound of Music'
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Ann and Mitt Romney...
- Toddler basketball star, 'Trick-Shot-Titus,'...
- Ballet West's 'Nutcracker' a splendid success
- About Utah: After 72 years, Keith Hottinger...
- 'Sound of Music' hit a high note for family...
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday...
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday... 17
- 'Sound of Music' alive for 18.5 million... 13
- TV Review: Broadway wins in live 'Sound... 12
- 'Deseret News Sunday Edition' looks at... 10
- 'Sound of Music' hit a high note for... 9
- Toddler basketball star,... 5
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: What if negative... 4
- Wright Words: Christmas Jars tradition... 2