"A Horse for Christmas" is designed for the young reader with a taste for adventure and a love for horses.
It's also a simple read so a parent can read it as a bedtime story with ease.
The story is all about Tyler, a young boy who wants a horse for Christmas and can't see why he can't just go get one of the wild mustangs roaming Nevada.
He doesn't worry about how he'll catch the horse, transport it or care for it after he gets one.
He simply goes.
His new friend who is kind of a show-off, goes with him, along with his little sister who remembers to bring sandwiches.
The story makes for a rather unbelievable journey with horse thieves, snakes and trouble that wraps itself up in a fashion that will satisfy the child in all of us.
It's rather charming, and the bad guys lose (not to give away the ending). It also could prove to be the first of a series of Tyler adventure stories.
This might make a good stocking stuffer for a youngster, depending on how seriously you want him or her to address reality.
Sharon Haddock is a professional writer with 35 years experience, 17 at the Deseret News. Her personal blog is at sharonhaddock.blogspot.com.
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday...
- TV Review: Broadway wins in live 'Sound of...
- Carrie Underwood stars in NBC's 'The Sound of...
- Tips for LDS bloggers from the 'ultimate...
- 'Sound of Music' alive for 18.5 million viewers
- The Killers collaborates with Owen Wilson and...
- Saving Africa? New book casts harsh light on...
- Sundance Film Festival to debut new section...
- TV Review: Broadway wins in live 'Sound... 11
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday... 11
- The Killers collaborates with Owen... 7
- Saving Africa? New book casts harsh... 6
- 'Sound of Music' alive for 18.5 million... 5
- Alpine woman is a dessert contest,... 5
- Faith sustained author through... 5
- Tips for LDS bloggers from the... 4