"A Horse for Christmas" is designed for the young reader with a taste for adventure and a love for horses.
It's also a simple read so a parent can read it as a bedtime story with ease.
The story is all about Tyler, a young boy who wants a horse for Christmas and can't see why he can't just go get one of the wild mustangs roaming Nevada.
He doesn't worry about how he'll catch the horse, transport it or care for it after he gets one.
He simply goes.
His new friend who is kind of a show-off, goes with him, along with his little sister who remembers to bring sandwiches.
The story makes for a rather unbelievable journey with horse thieves, snakes and trouble that wraps itself up in a fashion that will satisfy the child in all of us.
It's rather charming, and the bad guys lose (not to give away the ending). It also could prove to be the first of a series of Tyler adventure stories.
This might make a good stocking stuffer for a youngster, depending on how seriously you want him or her to address reality.
Sharon Haddock is a professional writer with 35 years experience, 17 at the Deseret News. Her personal blog is at sharonhaddock.blogspot.com.
- Big on opera: Utah Opera's artistic director...
- Donny Osmond releases app to promote upcoming...
- Man without arms and legs has a message about...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Reba McEntire asks...
- Peru Fest community event celebrates culture,...
- Behind the scenes of the Utah Shakespeare...
- Actors anxiously await Farmington's 'Annie...
- 'Avengers' unleash 'Ultron' footage at Comic-Con
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Reba McEntire... 12
- Man without arms and legs has a message... 4
- Disney moves toward $10 hourly starting... 2
- 'Hercules' is a wasted opportunity for... 2
- James Garner was a singular talent with... 1
- Michael Douglas and Diane Keaton can't... 1
- Sherry Young: Moving — a life... 1
- Pioneer panorama arrives in the Salt... 1