Davis County: Sunset police officer justified in shooting man
SUNSET — A Sunset police officer who shot a man following a domestic dispute in October acted lawfully, Davis County Attorney Troy Rawlings said Friday.
Sunset police officer Chad Campbell shot Juan Ramirez three times at Ramirez's home on Oct. 8. In a letter to Sunset Police Chief Ken Eborn, Rawlings wrote that Campbell's presence at Ramirez's home at 1086 N. 250 West was lawful and that his actions were "factually and legally justified."
"No crime was committed by (Campbell) when using his weapon," Rawlings wrote.
The incident began at 1:19 a.m. when emergency dispatchers received a 911 hangup call from Ramirez's home. Police said investigators later found out Ramirez broke or smashed the phone, automatically triggering a 911 call. Ramirez had apparently been drinking and verbally fighting with his wife.
Campbell responded and, as he walked onto the front porch, he could see Ramirez through the glass screen door waving a handgun inside, police said. Campbell then told the man to drop the weapon, but Ramirez instead fired a shot into a wall.
Campbell continued to tell Ramirez to drop the weapon, but the man refused, ultimately pointing the weapon at the police officer. Campbell then fired three times through a glass door, striking Ramirez. The man survived his injuries.
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 42
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 37
- Mitt Romney says family still wants him... 35
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Old West showdown? Freeway cattle drive... 30
- History-making transgender U.S. Senate... 29
- Hal Boyd: Why Mitt Romney's family,... 26