Davis County: Sunset police officer justified in shooting man
SUNSET — A Sunset police officer who shot a man following a domestic dispute in October acted lawfully, Davis County Attorney Troy Rawlings said Friday.
Sunset police officer Chad Campbell shot Juan Ramirez three times at Ramirez's home on Oct. 8. In a letter to Sunset Police Chief Ken Eborn, Rawlings wrote that Campbell's presence at Ramirez's home at 1086 N. 250 West was lawful and that his actions were "factually and legally justified."
"No crime was committed by (Campbell) when using his weapon," Rawlings wrote.
The incident began at 1:19 a.m. when emergency dispatchers received a 911 hangup call from Ramirez's home. Police said investigators later found out Ramirez broke or smashed the phone, automatically triggering a 911 call. Ramirez had apparently been drinking and verbally fighting with his wife.
Campbell responded and, as he walked onto the front porch, he could see Ramirez through the glass screen door waving a handgun inside, police said. Campbell then told the man to drop the weapon, but Ramirez instead fired a shot into a wall.
Campbell continued to tell Ramirez to drop the weapon, but the man refused, ultimately pointing the weapon at the police officer. Campbell then fired three times through a glass door, striking Ramirez. The man survived his injuries.
- Rep. Justin Miller pleads guilty to...
- Photo gallery: Night skies over national parks
- Pres. Nelson honored by the University of Utah
- Police seek alleged drug money from woman...
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with...
- Utah man impresses all four judges on 'The...
- Rep. Jason Chaffetz says he wouldn't run...
- Inmate charged with sending threatening...
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with... 68
- Chaffetz's run for speaker makes... 47
- Utah cites Warren Jeffs as reason... 42
- Scholars disagree whether compromise... 41
- Gov. Herbert says latest Medicaid... 29
- Proposal calls for 900 South to be... 20
- Judge dismisses negligence lawsuit... 15
- Lawmakers hear support for Medicaid... 15