A quick and easy soup with a unique ingredient that makes all the difference
If you research “leftover turkey recipes” on the Internet, you’ll find literally hundreds of different dishes, from traditional favorites like turkey casseroles to more unique dishes like turkey pizza. It is one of the most enjoyable times of the year for me, because I love all the different creations using turkey and often wonder why I don’t cook turkey all year long.
One of my favorite recipes for leftover turkey isn’t unique; however, there is a twist in this recipe that makes all the difference.
It is turkey noodle soup. I make this soup any time I have leftover chicken or turkey. It is quick and easy, and I always have the ingredients needed right on hand. Often I will make it without as much broth, turning it into a hearty and homey meal with tender chunks of turkey and flavor-infused noodles.
But what makes this dish unique is cream corn. It adds a sweat and creamy flavor that completely changes the taste, making it one recipe I never get tired of.
I make a large batch and then freeze the excess. It is a wonderful lunch or light dinner, and for these chilly days ahead, what could be better?
Don’t think of it as leftovers, but as a new beginning to one of life’s best comfort foods.
Belle’s Turkey Noodle Soup
2 cups cooked and cubed turkey or chicken
8 cups chicken broth (6 cups if you want it thicker and less soupy)
½ pound medium egg noodles
2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
½ teaspoon poultry seasoning
½ teaspoon garlic salt
½ teaspoon pepper
1 can cream corn
Heat broth to boiling and add noodles. Cook about 6 minutes. Add the frozen vegetables and spices. Return to boil. Add turkey or chicken and cream corn and simmer for about 15 minutes.
Brenda Stanley is the mother of five children, including two sets of twins, and a grandmother of three. She is a cookbook author and novelist. Her website is at talesofthedinnerbelle.com.
- Can you name the celebrity voices behind...
- Wright Words: Despite horrific fire, Mormon...
- Have an irritable toddler? Here's one simple...
- Elizabeth Smart talks forgiveness and...
- Doug Robinson: The first kiss and the long...
- 'Heaven is for Real' delivers a theological...
- Video: Applicants interview for the 'toughest...
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Tipping points: Is the...
- Doug Robinson: The first kiss and the... 24
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Tipping points:... 14
- Wright Words: Despite horrific fire,... 11
- Abortion in cases of rape: New rifts in... 10
- Judge set to issue key Ohio gay... 10
- 'Heaven is for Real' delivers a... 8
- How to raise a caring, moral child:... 5
- With $41.4 million, 'Captain America'... 3