Salt Lake County residents get final chance to weigh in on 16.2 percent tax increase
"You're going to be taking my children's mother away from them," Case said, lamenting the disposable diapers and prepared meals that would take the place of home cooking and cost-saving cloth diapers that she has made a priority in her home.
Nate Jensen, of Herriman, returned to offer public comment to add to his statements from Tuesday about the "silly tax hike."
"There are other states that are doing just fine with lower property taxes than Salt Lake County takes in," Jensen said.
"I like the Hogle Zoo," he said. "Just let me pay for it when I go. If I have to pay more, fine. That's my problem. Don't tax us for this."
The five people who stood in support of the increase spoke of the benefit county programs offer the community and people in their lives.
Gary Bowen announced he supports the increase, saying he spoke for the "silent majority" that had not turned out for the meeting.
"The county has already made over the past few years substantial cuts, which no one in this audience has recognized tonight," Bowen said. "We are on the cusp with a new administration and a new Congress of seeing an increase in our economy. The county needs to prepare and provide the basic services for that growth that's going to take place in the next year."
Bowen's comments drew a smattering of applause and a chorus of booing from the vocal crowd.
Christopher Lee, who identified himself as a 26-year-old new father, said as he looked to the future, he imagined his young daughter someday checking out a book from the library and learning to dance at a community rec center.
"I want you think about a world in which there is no art, and there are no libraries," he said. "That's not a world I want to bring my little 10-month daughter into."
- After more than 6 years, 3 families yearn for...
- Strong winds cause damage, possibly fatal...
- Former BYU, non-Mormon professor writes 'in...
- Millcreek man faces child abuse homicide...
- Sen. Orrin Hatch headed to Israel to meet...
- About Utah: Want a ride to the past? Matt...
- New strategies eliminate long waitlist for...
- 7 crazy-awesome natural arches and bridges in...
- Utah GOP all in for Cruz, but Trump... 55
- Dog accused of biting child ordered to... 48
- Award recipient's affiliation draws ire... 36
- GOP primary in governor's race now... 24
- S.L. City Council unsure what to expect... 22
- Twice-deported man arrested in Salt... 18
- Orem woman makes history by joining... 17
- Lake Powell pipeline debate enters new... 16