Geoff Liesik, Deseret News
ROOSEVELT — Counselors will be on hand at two Duchesne County schools Friday, following a crash Thursday that killed a 12-year-old boy and injured two other people.
Carleton "CJ" Seeley was a seventh-grader at Roosevelt Junior High School. His mother, Angela Renee Davis, who was critically injured in the crash, worked as a classroom aide at another school in the Duchesne County School District.
"We've scheduled an early faculty meeting to alert the staff and to begin to build plans to address the situation," said district curriculum director Mary Ellen Kettle.
"We've contacted additional counselors, beyond our district staff, that will be on-hand to offer support," she said.
The Utah Highway Patrol said Davis, 34, was driving east on U.S. 40 near the junction with state Route 88 when she crossed into oncoming traffic about 4:45 p.m. Thursday. The Roosevelt woman's red Honda Civic crashed head-on with another Honda Civic, troopers said.
The impact of the crash tore the red car in half, ejecting Davis and Seeley from the car, troopers said. The car's front half and its back half landed about 150 feet from each other.
Seeley died at the scene. His body, draped with a sheet, lay near a pair of red tennis shoes about 20 feet away from where the front half of the car had come to rest.
Davis was transported by ambulance to Ashley Regional Medical Center and then flown by medical helicopter to a hospital in Salt Lake City, troopers said.
The driver of the other car, 51-year-old Blair Kay, of Mona, was also transported to Ashley Regional with minor injuries, according to UHP.
Troopers say Davis' car may have experienced a flat tire, leading to the crash, but they are still trying to determine exactly what happened. They do not believe speed or impairment were contributing factors.
Troopers expect to return to the scene Friday to continue their investigation.
Roosevelt Junior High School Principal Dean Wilson called Seeley "a really good kid." Some of the boy's classmates were making plans Thursday night to create posters memorializing their friend.
- Precedents — and exceptions — to...
- Vernal man charged after 2 bizarre burglaries...
- Layton man attempts to duct tape, rape woman,...
- 9 things I wish I had known before my mission
- Boston-bound airline pilot from West Jordan...
- LDS Church leaders continue to emphasize...
- Chaffetz calls speaker bid a long shot, may...
- Proposal calls for 900 South to be named...
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's... 54
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make... 37
- Gun control laws won't stop mass... 30
- Is convicted killer innocent? Group... 24
- State says it will fund Planned... 14
- Small group of Ordain Women supporters... 13
- LDS Church leaders continue to... 13
- Precedents — and exceptions... 12