Utah defense attorney James Slavens killed in auto accident
FILLMORE — A Utah defense attorney who has handled several high-profile cases in the state was killed in a traffic accident Wednesday.
James Slavens, 54, of Fillmore, was exiting I-15 at the Fillmore exit just after 10 p.m. when he failed to negotiate the curve on the off-ramp, said Utah Highway Patrol Cpl. Todd Johnson. He overcorrected, slid out of control and overturned, Johnson said.
Slavens, who was not wearing a seat belt, was ejected from the vehicle and killed.
The accident remained under investigation Thursday, but Johnson said excessive speed and alcohol appeared to be factors.
Slavens recently represented death row inmate Michael Anthony Archuleta, 50, who was convicted in 1989 in the murder of a Southern Utah University student. Last week, Archuleta filed a petition in federal court asking to overturn his conviction. He and co-defendant Lance Conway Wood were convicted in separate trials in the 1989 torture death of SUU student Gordon Church.
At one point, Archuleta was scheduled to be executed in April by firing squad before receiving a reprieve pending his appeal.
Slavens also represented Ruben Chavez-Reyes, who was sentenced to prison in 2010 for obstruction of justice. Chavez-Reyes gave a ride to Roberto Miramontes Roman after Milllard County Sheriff's deputy Josie Greathouse Fox was shot and killed.
- LDS Church donates to Utah Pride Center's...
- Desire to serve: Even a gunshot couldn't keep...
- 1 dead in Uintah County after track hoe...
- Pig-shaped hot air balloon crashes in Provo
- Farmington woman tumbles 150 feet in hiking...
- Utah farmer turns alfalfa field into the...
- 'You can see the jaw marks': Pleasant Grove...
- 4 ways to guarantee your kids will have a...
- Delta man staged hate crimes in a 'cry... 96
- LDS Church donates to Utah Pride... 55
- Episcopal bishops seek end to 'unholy... 41
- My view: Move the prison for the sake... 38
- Support for law requiring sales tax for... 28
- Neil Flinders: Keeping track of school... 21
- U.S. Supreme Court overturns EPA's... 13
- Pig-shaped hot air balloon crashes in... 12