Utah defense attorney James Slavens killed in auto accident
FILLMORE — A Utah defense attorney who has handled several high-profile cases in the state was killed in a traffic accident Wednesday.
James Slavens, 54, of Fillmore, was exiting I-15 at the Fillmore exit just after 10 p.m. when he failed to negotiate the curve on the off-ramp, said Utah Highway Patrol Cpl. Todd Johnson. He overcorrected, slid out of control and overturned, Johnson said.
Slavens, who was not wearing a seat belt, was ejected from the vehicle and killed.
The accident remained under investigation Thursday, but Johnson said excessive speed and alcohol appeared to be factors.
Slavens recently represented death row inmate Michael Anthony Archuleta, 50, who was convicted in 1989 in the murder of a Southern Utah University student. Last week, Archuleta filed a petition in federal court asking to overturn his conviction. He and co-defendant Lance Conway Wood were convicted in separate trials in the 1989 torture death of SUU student Gordon Church.
At one point, Archuleta was scheduled to be executed in April by firing squad before receiving a reprieve pending his appeal.
Slavens also represented Ruben Chavez-Reyes, who was sentenced to prison in 2010 for obstruction of justice. Chavez-Reyes gave a ride to Roberto Miramontes Roman after Milllard County Sheriff's deputy Josie Greathouse Fox was shot and killed.
- What Utah voters need to know for the 2016...
- Poll: Trump up over Clinton in Utah, but lead...
- Two arrested in dangerous Taylorsville chase,...
- Celebrate July 4 at South Salt Lake Freedom...
- Logan toddler killed in driveway accident...
- UTA offers late TRAX, S-Line service for Utah...
- Dam project forces closure of Tibble Fork area
- Two arrested for allegedly siccing pit bull...
- Immigration ruling called hurtful, a... 75
- Nearly 70 percent of Utahns say Donald... 62
- Poll: Trump up over Clinton in Utah,... 43
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 28
- ACLU sues the state over inadequate... 26
- Utah GOP brings up father's bank... 25
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 25
- Rio Grande neighborhood 'more unsafe... 21