Utah defense attorney James Slavens killed in auto accident
FILLMORE — A Utah defense attorney who has handled several high-profile cases in the state was killed in a traffic accident Wednesday.
James Slavens, 54, of Fillmore, was exiting I-15 at the Fillmore exit just after 10 p.m. when he failed to negotiate the curve on the off-ramp, said Utah Highway Patrol Cpl. Todd Johnson. He overcorrected, slid out of control and overturned, Johnson said.
Slavens, who was not wearing a seat belt, was ejected from the vehicle and killed.
The accident remained under investigation Thursday, but Johnson said excessive speed and alcohol appeared to be factors.
Slavens recently represented death row inmate Michael Anthony Archuleta, 50, who was convicted in 1989 in the murder of a Southern Utah University student. Last week, Archuleta filed a petition in federal court asking to overturn his conviction. He and co-defendant Lance Conway Wood were convicted in separate trials in the 1989 torture death of SUU student Gordon Church.
At one point, Archuleta was scheduled to be executed in April by firing squad before receiving a reprieve pending his appeal.
Slavens also represented Ruben Chavez-Reyes, who was sentenced to prison in 2010 for obstruction of justice. Chavez-Reyes gave a ride to Roberto Miramontes Roman after Milllard County Sheriff's deputy Josie Greathouse Fox was shot and killed.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- Too many boaters not stopping for quagga...
- Jordan board calls for special bond election...
- Prosecutor rails on DOJ handling of...
- Mirror Lake Shoreline Trail closed through...
- I-15 in Weber County to close Wednesday,...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 74
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 31
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Prosecutor rails on DOJ handling of... 18
- Local government board fostered... 16
- 2 charged in attack on gay men;... 16
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 15