Utah defense attorney James Slavens killed in auto accident
FILLMORE — A Utah defense attorney who has handled several high-profile cases in the state was killed in a traffic accident Wednesday.
James Slavens, 54, of Fillmore, was exiting I-15 at the Fillmore exit just after 10 p.m. when he failed to negotiate the curve on the off-ramp, said Utah Highway Patrol Cpl. Todd Johnson. He overcorrected, slid out of control and overturned, Johnson said.
Slavens, who was not wearing a seat belt, was ejected from the vehicle and killed.
The accident remained under investigation Thursday, but Johnson said excessive speed and alcohol appeared to be factors.
Slavens recently represented death row inmate Michael Anthony Archuleta, 50, who was convicted in 1989 in the murder of a Southern Utah University student. Last week, Archuleta filed a petition in federal court asking to overturn his conviction. He and co-defendant Lance Conway Wood were convicted in separate trials in the 1989 torture death of SUU student Gordon Church.
At one point, Archuleta was scheduled to be executed in April by firing squad before receiving a reprieve pending his appeal.
Slavens also represented Ruben Chavez-Reyes, who was sentenced to prison in 2010 for obstruction of justice. Chavez-Reyes gave a ride to Roberto Miramontes Roman after Milllard County Sheriff's deputy Josie Greathouse Fox was shot and killed.
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Ballet West artists prepare original works...
- Weber County deputies investigating possible...
- A family's faith and a mother's legacy shine...
- Festival celebrates cultural traditions
- Photos: Here comes the sun
- Police suspect arson in house fire that...
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 32
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 30
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 20
- National conservative group backs... 18
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 17
- Are you willing to pay a fee to use... 17
- Group targets Utah's public lands fight... 12
- A family's faith and a mother's legacy... 11