Point guard Stilman White has embarked on his Mormon mission
Our take: Point guard Stilman White has left the University of North Carolina to serve his two-year mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. This article by Matt Morgan of Inside Carolina recaps White's memorable freshman season with the Tar Heels and describes the missionary's thoughts as he departs to serve in parts of northern Utah, southern Idaho and western Wyoming.
Somebody needed to pinch Stilman White. Looking back at the year he’s had, there’s no way it wasn’t all a dream.
From earning scholarship offers from Utah State and BYU to eventually suiting up in Carolina blue. From Hoggard High to playing in front of Barack and Michelle on an aircraft carrier. From an unrated prospect to starting in the Sweet 16 and Elite Eight. Stuff like this just doesn’t happen to people.
“I had the best year of my life,” White said. “Sometimes it just amazes me all the neat experiences I had and the neat things I got to do the last year.”
But just as quickly as White went from anonymous to primetime, he went back. The Wilmington native traded in his Nike shorts and jersey for slacks and a button up as he left for Utah to start his Mormon mission last week.
- Temple Square opens 3 new exhibits
- Defending the Faith: Did Book of Mormon...
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global audience,...
- Arianna Rees: Why Lindsey Stirling's...
- Family experiences a memorial miracle
- 34 of the most beautiful churches from around...
- How cemeteries and smartphones play a role in...
- Defending the Faith: Did Book of Mormon... 135
- Arianna Rees: Why Lindsey Stirling's... 79
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global... 22
- The Rohingyas: A look into one of the... 8
- 34 of the most beautiful churches from... 7
- Jerry Earl Johnston: I can't move the... 4
- About Utah: Reliving their great escape... 4
- Obama to Jews: Shared values compel... 3