Point guard Stilman White has embarked on his Mormon mission
Our take: Point guard Stilman White has left the University of North Carolina to serve his two-year mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. This article by Matt Morgan of Inside Carolina recaps White's memorable freshman season with the Tar Heels and describes the missionary's thoughts as he departs to serve in parts of northern Utah, southern Idaho and western Wyoming.
Somebody needed to pinch Stilman White. Looking back at the year he’s had, there’s no way it wasn’t all a dream.
From earning scholarship offers from Utah State and BYU to eventually suiting up in Carolina blue. From Hoggard High to playing in front of Barack and Michelle on an aircraft carrier. From an unrated prospect to starting in the Sweet 16 and Elite Eight. Stuff like this just doesn’t happen to people.
“I had the best year of my life,” White said. “Sometimes it just amazes me all the neat experiences I had and the neat things I got to do the last year.”
But just as quickly as White went from anonymous to primetime, he went back. The Wilmington native traded in his Nike shorts and jersey for slacks and a button up as he left for Utah to start his Mormon mission last week.
- Demand for Ogden Temple open house tickets...
- Katie Couric interviews Mormon mom from Cute...
- Provo's waffle truck started by a motivated...
- When Mormon pioneers left was often a...
- Mormon couple celebrates 75 years of true love
- Project to restore Manti Tabernacle underway
- New features at Ogden Temple reception tent...
- New report says 2013 was 'the largest...
- Hamblin & Peterson: Constantine's... 25
- When Mormon pioneers left was often a... 18
- 66,511 volunteers set FamilySearch... 17
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 17
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Reba McEntire... 14
- Demand for Ogden Temple open house... 8
- Thirty countries require leaders to... 5
- Ground Zero cross can stay at 9/11... 5