SALT LAKE CITY — A man accused of stealing holiday packages off of doorsteps was arrested Wednesday after a tip from a KSL TV viewer led bail enforcement agents to the man's hideout.
Larry Ray Stairs, 43, was taken in by bail enforcement agents, commonly known as bounty hunters, and arrested for outstanding warrants of drug possession, failure to stop at an officer's command and possession of burglary tools.
Bounty hunter "Pistol Pete" Minenno said relatives told him Stairs is suspected of taking machinery from construction sites, but in the winter when sites are locked up, he turns his attention to doorsteps.
Following a news report by KSL's Andrew Wittenberg on Tuesday, Minenno said he received a call from a viewer, leading him to a residence in Sandy where Stairs opened the door.
"He looked at me and I said 'Larry,' and he shut the door," Minenno said. "I kicked two times and he opened up. It was game over."
Stairs was booked into Salt Lake County Jail with bail totaling $77,505.
Contributing: Andrew Wittenberg
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet, passes away
- XanGo co-founder accuses partners of...
- Fly a flag for Cody: Army confirms Utah man...
- Mia Love announces she's officially running...
- GOP delegates reject changes to nominating...
- Airport TRAX ridership remains strong weeks...
- Mitt Romney to live in Utah — at least...
- Early diagnosis may be key in slowing...
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet,... 65
- Mitt Romney to live in Utah — at... 46
- GOP delegates reject changes to... 27
- Mia Love announces she's officially... 27
- Utah GOP convention agenda includes... 20
- Angry Orrin Hatch: IRS guilty of... 19
- Mormon missionary age announcement... 15
- Swallow headlines spark question:... 12