UHSAA committee proposes changing its rules to deal with ineligible players
"We're also working on coming up with the language that will give a basis for an appeal," said Hammer. "You can't just appeal because you don't like the answer."
Instead, there will be defined situations that warrant a second look at the case. For example, if a school contends that a student was dishonest, an appeal will be granted.
• Clarifying that fines imposed by a region are paid to the regions, while fines levied by the statewide panels are paid to the UHSAA.
In addition to the penalties for using ineligible players, the committee discussed other issues that will be presented to the Executive Committee in January. The Executive Committee will then make recommendations to the Board of Trustees. Any proposed changes to UHSAA rules will be heard by the BOT twice, and then voted on by the member schools before they're adopted.
Some of the other issues addressed were requiring the certification of all coaches, not just those who are paid; allowing schools to compete independent of a region when they are trying to establish activities and athletic programs; whether the UHSAA should tighten or change rules for foreign or boarding-school students; allowing for an exemption to the amateur rule for runners as many high school runners compete in races that include professionals. An exemption already exists for tennis and golf athletes.
"We got more done today than I ever thought we could," said Hammer. "We discussed everything from dead time to J1 and F1 transfer students. We needed to have these discussions."
Twitter: adonsports Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings University of...
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks about...
- Morning links: Steve Young quotes Joseph...
- BYU vs. East Carolina: How to attend, watch,...
- Brad Rock: GameDay is quite the day in Utah
- High school football roundup for Friday, Oct. 9
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Utah and Utah State should...
- Tanner Mangum's on-the-job training continues...
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 54
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks... 41
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings... 32
- Utah Utes football: The California... 30
- Utes back in the college football... 27
- BYU coaches continue helping players... 22
- Underrated East Carolina will test... 20
- Morning links: When will the Utes... 17