UHSAA committee proposes changing its rules to deal with ineligible players
"We're also working on coming up with the language that will give a basis for an appeal," said Hammer. "You can't just appeal because you don't like the answer."
Instead, there will be defined situations that warrant a second look at the case. For example, if a school contends that a student was dishonest, an appeal will be granted.
• Clarifying that fines imposed by a region are paid to the regions, while fines levied by the statewide panels are paid to the UHSAA.
In addition to the penalties for using ineligible players, the committee discussed other issues that will be presented to the Executive Committee in January. The Executive Committee will then make recommendations to the Board of Trustees. Any proposed changes to UHSAA rules will be heard by the BOT twice, and then voted on by the member schools before they're adopted.
Some of the other issues addressed were requiring the certification of all coaches, not just those who are paid; allowing schools to compete independent of a region when they are trying to establish activities and athletic programs; whether the UHSAA should tighten or change rules for foreign or boarding-school students; allowing for an exemption to the amateur rule for runners as many high school runners compete in races that include professionals. An exemption already exists for tennis and golf athletes.
"We got more done today than I ever thought we could," said Hammer. "We discussed everything from dead time to J1 and F1 transfer students. We needed to have these discussions."
Twitter: adonsports Email: email@example.com
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU past...
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in the...
- Lone Peak guard Frank Jackson drops...
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in University...
- BYU focusing on bowl game while players'...
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah State
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with Wagner...
- Jimmer & Jimbo: As one pursues a steady role,...
- 4-star offensive line commit Kieffer... 68
- BYU has something to prove, looking to... 60
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 54
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 39
- Dick Harmon: BYU guard Tyler Haws the... 31
- Ute football team has boots on the... 31
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 30