UHSAA committee proposes changing its rules to deal with ineligible players
"We're also working on coming up with the language that will give a basis for an appeal," said Hammer. "You can't just appeal because you don't like the answer."
Instead, there will be defined situations that warrant a second look at the case. For example, if a school contends that a student was dishonest, an appeal will be granted.
• Clarifying that fines imposed by a region are paid to the regions, while fines levied by the statewide panels are paid to the UHSAA.
In addition to the penalties for using ineligible players, the committee discussed other issues that will be presented to the Executive Committee in January. The Executive Committee will then make recommendations to the Board of Trustees. Any proposed changes to UHSAA rules will be heard by the BOT twice, and then voted on by the member schools before they're adopted.
Some of the other issues addressed were requiring the certification of all coaches, not just those who are paid; allowing schools to compete independent of a region when they are trying to establish activities and athletic programs; whether the UHSAA should tighten or change rules for foreign or boarding-school students; allowing for an exemption to the amateur rule for runners as many high school runners compete in races that include professionals. An exemption already exists for tennis and golf athletes.
"We got more done today than I ever thought we could," said Hammer. "We discussed everything from dead time to J1 and F1 transfer students. We needed to have these discussions."
Twitter: adonsports Email: email@example.com
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by media...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to Cleveland...
- The original BCS busters: Looking back at...
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not on...
- Utah's Fiesta Bowl championship team: Where...
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake team...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 commissioner frank about...
- Utah football: Pac-12 Football Media Day Central
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 225
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by... 93
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is... 76
- The original BCS busters: Looking back... 46
- ACC media days has some interesting... 43
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not... 41
- Utah's better BCS buster, 2004 or 2008? 27
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to... 26