Being a freshman, Williams is still learning, of course. In the Cougars' loss at San Jose State, Spartan defender Keith Smith hurdled a cut-block attempt by Williams. Smith flew over Williams, blindsided quarterback Riley Nelson and caused a fumble that sealed BYU's defeat.
"I'm not cutting as much, because I can see what happens when I cut at the wrong time, at the wrong place," Williams said.
Still, as far as the BYU offense is concerned, Williams' emergence this season has been at the right time.
He just didn't expect to play such a big role for the Cougars so soon.
"I expected to play a little bit. This is more of a surprise," Williams said of his freshman season. "I'm just grateful I got this opportunity to do what I'm doing now, to get as many carries and touchdowns and just the opportunity to play running back and start, too. I'm grateful I got this time as a freshman and I didn't have to wait as long as I thought I would."
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- Dick Harmon: John Beck very impressed with...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle Whittingham...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- BYU's worldwide fan base highlighted in...
- Brad Rock: Jazz dreaming of a Blazing future
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 103
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 75
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 64
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 45
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34
- BYU vs. No. 21 UMass live blog:... 27