Giving up alcohol and following in his father's footsteps led to hockey star Brad Mills joining the LDS Church
“He’s a true professional on the ice. Off the ice, he takes care of his body and is dedicated to his faith,” Armstrong said. “For him to be able to do that shows a lot of character.”
When asked why few Mormons play professional hockey, Mills replied that it might have something to do with the violent nature of the game, expensive equipment and reluctance by church members to practice and play on Sundays.
Although his conversion has mellowed him out a little, Mills maintains a competitive edge and still drops his gloves for an occasional fight.
“Tempers flare in a physical game like hockey, but my approach has changed a little bit,” he said. “I realized my purpose in life is not to be a pugilist. I will stand up for myself and my teammates but I’m not out there looking for a fight like I used to be.”
When he isn’t playing hockey, Mills enjoys visiting Temple Square, attending institute devotionals and going to church meetings. He has even met the missionary that baptized his father. Mills has set a goal to receive his temple endowment this summer.
At last Mills feels like he is on the right path.
“When I look back, it's like your entire life the Lord is reaching out to you, guiding and steering you, and it's a matter of how well can you follow directions,” Mills said. “I look back over my life and it's been little moments and big moments and they all seem to be fitting together and steering me to where I am now.”
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: tbtoone
- LDS siblings receive mission calls to Sao...
- Elder Perry's 'wildfire' cancer shocked...
- Elder L. Tom Perry's funeral planned for Friday
- Photos: A photographic look at Elder L. Tom...
- 21 uplifting quotes from Elder L. Tom Perry
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir announces...
- Elder L. Tom Perry: An extraordinary friend...
- Son shares story of miraculous reunion with...
- Possible Boy Scout gay leadership... 78
- Elder L. Tom Perry's cancer terminal,... 56
- Lindsey Stirling's father responds to... 46
- An ex-Marine is fighting for her right... 44
- Michelle Llewellyn: How can I defend... 40
- Is your financial house in order? 10... 29
- Elder L. Tom Perry — an... 22
- Why more young women are leaving church 21