Elder Albert Choules Jr., an Idaho-born businessman who served for six years as a general authority of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, died of natural causes Dec. 5. He was 86 years old.
Elder Choules was sustained to the First Quorum of the Seventy at the October 1988 general conference, to the Second Quorum the next year and was released at the October 1994 conference.
During his general authority service, he was first counselor in the Utah Central Area, a counselor in the Europe Area and a counselor in the Utah South Area presidencies. He spoke at the October 1988 and April 1994 general conferences.
He was born Feb. 15, 1926, in Driggs, Idaho, the third child of Albert Choules and Rula Wilson Choules. He married Rosemary Phillips on June 24, 1952, in the Idaho Falls Temple. She died on June 27, 1984, and he married Marilyn Jeppson Lowry on June 8, 1987, in the Salt Lake Temple.
He was the father of two sons and a daughter, and stepfather of two sons and a daughter.
Elder Choules was involved in several different businesses during his professional life, including the Western Savings and Loan Association and Romney International Hotels. But his first love was his service in the LDS Church, which included assignments as president of the New York New York City Mission, president of the Scottsdale Arizona Stake and regional representative for LDS regions in New Mexico and Texas. Following his release as a general authority he served as bishop of the Salt Lake Emigration 2nd Ward and as president of the Mesa Arizona Temple.
A viewing will be held from 6-9 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 14, as well as two hours before his funeral at the LDS Holladay 27th Ward building at 5450 South Holladay Blvd. in Holladay, Utah. Funeral services will be held Saturday, Dec. 15, at the same location beginning at 11 a.m.
Contributing: Tom Hatch
- When Satan steals your motherhood
- Wright Words: Idaho woman learns to...
- Family of BYU student hit by car say they are...
- Temple tax: European court rules LDS Church...
- Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit offers chance to...
- Director Darren Aronofsky’s...
- LDS leader describes writing Elder Neal A....
- Returned Mormon missionaries in college...
- Temple tax: European court rules LDS... 91
- Ask Angela: LDS women have unrealistic... 53
- Family of BYU student hit by car say... 38
- Wright Words: Idaho woman learns to... 35
- When Satan steals your motherhood 26
- LDS missionary from Utah dies in Sweden... 23
- 'Son of God' is strong on production,... 20
- Defending the Faith: Where is Mount Sinai? 14