Elder Albert Choules Jr., an Idaho-born businessman who served for six years as a general authority of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, died of natural causes Dec. 5. He was 86 years old.
Elder Choules was sustained to the First Quorum of the Seventy at the October 1988 general conference, to the Second Quorum the next year and was released at the October 1994 conference.
During his general authority service, he was first counselor in the Utah Central Area, a counselor in the Europe Area and a counselor in the Utah South Area presidencies. He spoke at the October 1988 and April 1994 general conferences.
He was born Feb. 15, 1926, in Driggs, Idaho, the third child of Albert Choules and Rula Wilson Choules. He married Rosemary Phillips on June 24, 1952, in the Idaho Falls Temple. She died on June 27, 1984, and he married Marilyn Jeppson Lowry on June 8, 1987, in the Salt Lake Temple.
He was the father of two sons and a daughter, and stepfather of two sons and a daughter.
Elder Choules was involved in several different businesses during his professional life, including the Western Savings and Loan Association and Romney International Hotels. But his first love was his service in the LDS Church, which included assignments as president of the New York New York City Mission, president of the Scottsdale Arizona Stake and regional representative for LDS regions in New Mexico and Texas. Following his release as a general authority he served as bishop of the Salt Lake Emigration 2nd Ward and as president of the Mesa Arizona Temple.
A viewing will be held from 6-9 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 14, as well as two hours before his funeral at the LDS Holladay 27th Ward building at 5450 South Holladay Blvd. in Holladay, Utah. Funeral services will be held Saturday, Dec. 15, at the same location beginning at 11 a.m.
Contributing: Tom Hatch
- Utah family adopts 2 newborns 6 weeks apart
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- LDS Church releases video, topic page...
- Two Christian ministers refuse to perform...
- An LDS missionary and a Marine: Twin brothers...
- Wright Words: A day in the life of Mormon...
- LDS grandmother completes Personal Progress...
- 'Meet the Mormons' box office continues to...
- Two Christian ministers refuse to... 53
- LDS Church releases video, topic page... 31
- LDS CIO helps LDSTech attendees better... 26
- Why I stand with the Houston Five 21
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 20
- An LDS missionary and a Marine: Twin... 13
- Here's how you can learn more about God 13
- Bishops scrap welcome to gays in sign... 9