Elder Albert Choules Jr., an Idaho-born businessman who served for six years as a general authority of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, died of natural causes Dec. 5. He was 86 years old.
Elder Choules was sustained to the First Quorum of the Seventy at the October 1988 general conference, to the Second Quorum the next year and was released at the October 1994 conference.
During his general authority service, he was first counselor in the Utah Central Area, a counselor in the Europe Area and a counselor in the Utah South Area presidencies. He spoke at the October 1988 and April 1994 general conferences.
He was born Feb. 15, 1926, in Driggs, Idaho, the third child of Albert Choules and Rula Wilson Choules. He married Rosemary Phillips on June 24, 1952, in the Idaho Falls Temple. She died on June 27, 1984, and he married Marilyn Jeppson Lowry on June 8, 1987, in the Salt Lake Temple.
He was the father of two sons and a daughter, and stepfather of two sons and a daughter.
Elder Choules was involved in several different businesses during his professional life, including the Western Savings and Loan Association and Romney International Hotels. But his first love was his service in the LDS Church, which included assignments as president of the New York New York City Mission, president of the Scottsdale Arizona Stake and regional representative for LDS regions in New Mexico and Texas. Following his release as a general authority he served as bishop of the Salt Lake Emigration 2nd Ward and as president of the Mesa Arizona Temple.
A viewing will be held from 6-9 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 14, as well as two hours before his funeral at the LDS Holladay 27th Ward building at 5450 South Holladay Blvd. in Holladay, Utah. Funeral services will be held Saturday, Dec. 15, at the same location beginning at 11 a.m.
Contributing: Tom Hatch
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet, passes away
- Watch a video tribute to Sister Frances B....
- Mormon NFL safety Eric Weddle: Balancing...
- LDS missionary 'stable' following hit-and-run...
- A firsthand perspective: Reflecting on the...
- Wright Words: An open letter from a dad to...
- Hundreds of volunteers tackle service...
- Tips for getting — and keeping —...
- Mormon NFL safety Eric Weddle:... 65
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet,... 64
- New Harmony: The mainstreaming of... 45
- Elder Oaks promotes strengthening the... 26
- Hundreds watch as Angel Moroni statue... 15
- Community of Christ recommends... 15
- Ten Commandments come down in Oklahoma... 13
- LDS Church is smart to reach out to... 13