Utah State football: Two USU coaches named finalists for Defensive Backs Coach of the Year
Utah State coaches Bill Busch and Kendrick Shaver have been included among six finalists for FootballScoop’s Defensive Backs Coach of the Year award, presented by ProGrass.
The award, given by the only organization recognizing position coaches, will be chosen by previous winners and will be announced at the American Football Coaches Association's annual convention in January.
Busch is in his fourth season at Utah State, serving as associate head coach and overseeing the special teams and safeties. Shaver, who joined the Aggie staff in February 2011, serves as the cornerbacks coach. Prior to coming to Utah State, he spent four seasons as the secondary coach at Northern Colorado.
The Aggie defense has been crucial in the season’s success as they held opponents to just over 15 points a game. At the end of the regular season, Utah State leads the Western Athletic Conference in scoring defense (15.4 ppg), total defense (332.7 ypg) and passing defense (211.2 ypg).
Shaver and Busch have helped senior cornerback Will Davis to his star season, as he is second in the WAC and tied for ninth nationally in interceptions with five. He is also first in the WAC and in the nation in passes defended with 21.
Previous winners of the Defensive Backs Coach of the Year award are Tim Billings (Wake Forest, 2008); Everett Withers and Troy Douglas (North Carolina, 2009); Chad Glasgow and Clay Jennings (TCU, 2010); and Ron Cooper (LSU, 2011).
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- Former BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy undergoes...
- First steps: Utes open season with 56-14 win...
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- BYU starting cornerbacks Jordan Johnson,...
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very little
- Felt's Facts Week 2: Utah high school...
- Preseason viewer's guide: Locals make final...
- College football predictions: How will... 140
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- First steps: Utes open season with... 53
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 44
- Utah football: Utes eye successful start 42