Utah State football: Two USU coaches named finalists for Defensive Backs Coach of the Year
Utah State coaches Bill Busch and Kendrick Shaver have been included among six finalists for FootballScoop’s Defensive Backs Coach of the Year award, presented by ProGrass.
The award, given by the only organization recognizing position coaches, will be chosen by previous winners and will be announced at the American Football Coaches Association's annual convention in January.
Busch is in his fourth season at Utah State, serving as associate head coach and overseeing the special teams and safeties. Shaver, who joined the Aggie staff in February 2011, serves as the cornerbacks coach. Prior to coming to Utah State, he spent four seasons as the secondary coach at Northern Colorado.
The Aggie defense has been crucial in the season’s success as they held opponents to just over 15 points a game. At the end of the regular season, Utah State leads the Western Athletic Conference in scoring defense (15.4 ppg), total defense (332.7 ypg) and passing defense (211.2 ypg).
Shaver and Busch have helped senior cornerback Will Davis to his star season, as he is second in the WAC and tied for ninth nationally in interceptions with five. He is also first in the WAC and in the nation in passes defended with 21.
Previous winners of the Defensive Backs Coach of the Year award are Tim Billings (Wake Forest, 2008); Everett Withers and Troy Douglas (North Carolina, 2009); Chad Glasgow and Clay Jennings (TCU, 2010); and Ron Cooper (LSU, 2011).
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Utah Jazz give key starters a break in 98-91...
- Booker-ing ram and broken dreams: Midseason...
- Amy Donaldson: Not deciding on a starting...
- Report: Former BYU receiver Cody Hoffman to...
- Utes continue Pac-12 'meat grinder' with...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 46
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 32
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 25