MAGNA — A hostage situation ended peacefully just before 10 p.m. Tuesday after police said a man barricaded himself in a home with his girlfriend.
Toby L. Ward, 40, was interviewed and booked into Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of the incident, including alleged kidnapping.
A SWAT team was called to a home near 3200 South 7700 West to attempt to contact Ward who was allegedly holding his girlfriend hostage. When communication could not be established, the SWAT team forced entry, taking Ward into custody without incident and finding the woman unharmed.
Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal said it had not been confirmed whether there were weapons in the room where the two had been locked up for hours, but it was likely the man was armed. Officers have dealt with Ward in the past, Hoyal said.
Police received word of the situation about 6:30 p.m. The woman who was being held hostage called Ward's mother, who went to the house but was unable to convince her son to come out, Hoyal said.
"He's kept her basically barricaded inside that room all day," Hoyal said.
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed in...
- Union Pacific train makes special delivery...
- West Nile activity discovered in three Utah...
- Community rallies for Kamas family after...
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake team...
- Pioneer Day celebrations set throughout Utah
- Embattled doctor surrenders Utah medical license
- Dancing stars Julianne and Derek Hough visit...
- Supreme Court issues stay in Utah gay... 80
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 31
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 19
- South Jordan councilman wants school... 18
- Anti-porn rally aims at keeping... 15
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- Ex A.G.s John Swallow, Mark Shurtleff... 14
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed... 13