Cottonwood Heights woman accused of killing mother charged with assaulting officer
SALT LAKE CITY — A Cottonwood Heights woman accused of stabbing and killing her mother last month has been charged with assault by a prisoner, a third-degree felony.
Police took Airida Gruodis into custody on Nov. 26 for investigation of the death of her mother, Zita. Gruodis had a documented history of mental illness and cohabitant abuse against her mother, leading to protective orders filed in 2001 and 2010, according to court documents.
No charges have been filed against Gruodis in connection with the homicide.
Charges filed Tuesday in 3rd District Court state Gruodis a female officer attempted to help her into a "tyvex suit," or coveralls, for transport to Salt Lake County Jail.
Gruodis became agitated and lunged forward, placing her teeth around the base of the officers thumb, charges state. The officer pulled her thumb free before Gruodis could bite down.
Gruodis is currently in Salt Lake County Jail.
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Pleasant View fire contained Saturday;...
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic' national...
- Holladay woman dies rock climbing in Maple...
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 64
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 22
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 19
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 14
- Two Utah schools under federal... 13