Cottonwood Heights woman accused of killing mother charged with assaulting officer
SALT LAKE CITY — A Cottonwood Heights woman accused of stabbing and killing her mother last month has been charged with assault by a prisoner, a third-degree felony.
Police took Airida Gruodis into custody on Nov. 26 for investigation of the death of her mother, Zita. Gruodis had a documented history of mental illness and cohabitant abuse against her mother, leading to protective orders filed in 2001 and 2010, according to court documents.
No charges have been filed against Gruodis in connection with the homicide.
Charges filed Tuesday in 3rd District Court state Gruodis a female officer attempted to help her into a "tyvex suit," or coveralls, for transport to Salt Lake County Jail.
Gruodis became agitated and lunged forward, placing her teeth around the base of the officers thumb, charges state. The officer pulled her thumb free before Gruodis could bite down.
Gruodis is currently in Salt Lake County Jail.
- Pleasant Grove pizza manager arrested for...
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary heading...
- What does a letter grade mean for my child's...
- Candlelight vigil held for critically injured...
- About Utah: They're best in the world
- Former top deputy in Utah attorney general...
- Christmas I Remember Best: 'All this, and...
- Driver allegedly causes accident on I-15,...
- A year later, a look at the Utah... 91
- Majority of Utahns oppose moving state... 54
- Sugar House man intends to sue police,... 36
- Anti-police protests tie up traffic on... 32
- What does a letter grade mean for my... 17
- Audit: Utah still relies heavily on... 16
- Utah lawmakers recommend lowest-cost... 16
- Couples celebrate one-year anniversary... 13