Cottonwood Heights woman accused of killing mother charged with assaulting officer
SALT LAKE CITY — A Cottonwood Heights woman accused of stabbing and killing her mother last month has been charged with assault by a prisoner, a third-degree felony.
Police took Airida Gruodis into custody on Nov. 26 for investigation of the death of her mother, Zita. Gruodis had a documented history of mental illness and cohabitant abuse against her mother, leading to protective orders filed in 2001 and 2010, according to court documents.
No charges have been filed against Gruodis in connection with the homicide.
Charges filed Tuesday in 3rd District Court state Gruodis a female officer attempted to help her into a "tyvex suit," or coveralls, for transport to Salt Lake County Jail.
Gruodis became agitated and lunged forward, placing her teeth around the base of the officers thumb, charges state. The officer pulled her thumb free before Gruodis could bite down.
Gruodis is currently in Salt Lake County Jail.
- Newborn found in trash can brings call for help
- Man arrested in connection with baby's death
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death of 2...
- Audit reveals major concerns about UTA...
- 3 Mormon missionaries die in 2 separate...
- Woman accused of leaving young son outside...
- Tired teen plowed into new car lot, Vernal...
- Court allows Utah more time to file gay...
- Back (home) to school: Thousands of... 53
- New poll shows many Utahns oppose and... 48
- House Speaker Becky Lockhart is running... 36
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death... 34
- Court allows Utah more time to file gay... 33
- 3 Mormon missionaries die in 2 separate... 30
- Newborn found in trash can brings call... 29
- LDS missionary critically injured in... 27