Cottonwood Heights woman accused of killing mother charged with assaulting officer
SALT LAKE CITY — A Cottonwood Heights woman accused of stabbing and killing her mother last month has been charged with assault by a prisoner, a third-degree felony.
Police took Airida Gruodis into custody on Nov. 26 for investigation of the death of her mother, Zita. Gruodis had a documented history of mental illness and cohabitant abuse against her mother, leading to protective orders filed in 2001 and 2010, according to court documents.
No charges have been filed against Gruodis in connection with the homicide.
Charges filed Tuesday in 3rd District Court state Gruodis a female officer attempted to help her into a "tyvex suit," or coveralls, for transport to Salt Lake County Jail.
Gruodis became agitated and lunged forward, placing her teeth around the base of the officers thumb, charges state. The officer pulled her thumb free before Gruodis could bite down.
Gruodis is currently in Salt Lake County Jail.
- Idea for Burt's Bees land to become park...
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama administration...
- 5 memorable ways to pamper your family this...
- Provo’s Bikes and Trikes Festival is...
- Cedar Hills’ Family Festival kicks off...
- Don't know what's causing your infection? Ask...
- U. study shows how huge landslide shaped Zion...
- Are Utahns tiring of Mitt Romney... 109
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 40
- Salt Lake's next skyscraper? Proposed... 22
- Hatch steadfast in holding up Supreme... 17
- Sen. Hatch set to tour Utah's national... 15
- Skateboarder dies after being shot in... 10
- Utah lawsuit challenges porn filter fees 9
- IRS scam goes far beyond a phone call... 8