Cottonwood Heights woman accused of killing mother charged with assaulting officer
SALT LAKE CITY — A Cottonwood Heights woman accused of stabbing and killing her mother last month has been charged with assault by a prisoner, a third-degree felony.
Police took Airida Gruodis into custody on Nov. 26 for investigation of the death of her mother, Zita. Gruodis had a documented history of mental illness and cohabitant abuse against her mother, leading to protective orders filed in 2001 and 2010, according to court documents.
No charges have been filed against Gruodis in connection with the homicide.
Charges filed Tuesday in 3rd District Court state Gruodis a female officer attempted to help her into a "tyvex suit," or coveralls, for transport to Salt Lake County Jail.
Gruodis became agitated and lunged forward, placing her teeth around the base of the officers thumb, charges state. The officer pulled her thumb free before Gruodis could bite down.
Gruodis is currently in Salt Lake County Jail.
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face uncertain future
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- What consumers need to know about chip...
- Imagine Dragons treated like home team at...
- Body found in suitcase near Saltair identified
- Which U.S. cities are the best for upward...
- Motley Crue concert delayed about two hours...
- Sandy mailman's plea for books gets worldwide...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 296
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face... 135
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting... 103
- Mike Lee plotting tricky maneuver to... 90
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of... 76
- Most Utahns oppose Supreme Court ruling... 65
- Lee takes on new strategy in fight... 45
- Is report on building prison in Draper... 35