Cottonwood Heights woman accused of killing mother charged with assaulting officer
SALT LAKE CITY — A Cottonwood Heights woman accused of stabbing and killing her mother last month has been charged with assault by a prisoner, a third-degree felony.
Police took Airida Gruodis into custody on Nov. 26 for investigation of the death of her mother, Zita. Gruodis had a documented history of mental illness and cohabitant abuse against her mother, leading to protective orders filed in 2001 and 2010, according to court documents.
No charges have been filed against Gruodis in connection with the homicide.
Charges filed Tuesday in 3rd District Court state Gruodis a female officer attempted to help her into a "tyvex suit," or coveralls, for transport to Salt Lake County Jail.
Gruodis became agitated and lunged forward, placing her teeth around the base of the officers thumb, charges state. The officer pulled her thumb free before Gruodis could bite down.
Gruodis is currently in Salt Lake County Jail.
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to same-sex...
- About Utah: For 95-year-old, the secret to...
- Third person arrested in Carbon County...
- Researchers: Patients have only themselves to...
- Utah families share tragic stories of teens...
- Rock climber falls to his death at Zion...
- Educators at UEA convention told to... 40
- Federal government extends same-sex... 31
- Autopsy shows man posed no threat to... 23
- Mia Love included in a new ad... 21
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 20
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 18
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 16
- Police arrest 3 suspected of... 15