Teen girl stabbed mother in argument over school, police say
SOUTH SALT LAKE — A 40-year-old mother was in surgery Tuesday night after police say she was stabbed multiple times by her 16-year-old daughter.
The attack happened at the woman's house, 344 E. Lamborne Ave., just before 3 p.m. The teen and her mother were reportedly arguing about something that had to do with the daughter's schooling, said South Salt Lake police detective Gary Keller.
The argument became heated, and the daughter stabbed her mother three times in the chest and stomach with a kitchen knife, Keller said.
Neither the name of the mother nor the daughter were immediately released pending notification of other family members. The mother was alert and talking when emergency crews arrived, and her injuries were not considered life-threatening, Keller said. But she was in surgery at a local hospital Tuesday evening.
The daughter was taken to police headquarters for questioning and was expected to be booked into juvenile detention after. At least three others, including another sibling, witnessed the stabbing, he said.
- Rep. Justin Miller pleads guilty to...
- Pres. Nelson honored by the University of Utah
- Photo gallery: Night skies over national parks
- Police seek alleged drug money from woman...
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with...
- Utah man impresses all four judges on 'The...
- Inmate charged with sending threatening...
- Rep. Jason Chaffetz says he wouldn't run...
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with... 68
- Chaffetz's run for speaker makes... 47
- Utah cites Warren Jeffs as reason... 42
- Scholars disagree whether compromise... 41
- Gov. Herbert says latest Medicaid... 29
- Proposal calls for 900 South to be... 20
- Judge dismisses negligence lawsuit... 15
- Lawmakers hear support for Medicaid... 15