FARMINGTON — A man facing the potential of the death penalty in the killing of his 4-year-old stepson has asked for a hearing on the evidence against him.
A preliminary hearing was set for March 27-29 in the case against Nathanael Warren Sloop, 34, in 2nd District Court. In addition to charges of capital murder, Sloop is also charged with obstructing justice and intentionally inflicting serious injury on a child, both second-degree felonies; and desecration of a dead body, a third-degree felony, in the death of Ethan Stacy.
The boy's mother, Stephanie Sloop, 29, is facing the same charges in connection with the boy's death, but prosecutors have not stated whether or not they will seek the death penalty in her case. Her next court appearance is Friday.
The couple is accused of abusing Ethan, Stephanie's biological son, killing him less than two weeks after he arrived from Virginia to stay with them for the summer. Police say they disfigured his body and buried it near Powder Mountain in Weber County. The discovery came after a large search, because the Sloops initially told police that Ethan was missing.
Investigators put pressure on the Sloops due to inconsistencies in their stories and his body was located. Nathan Sloop allegedly attempted to disfigure Ethan's face with a hammer so he couldn't be identified, according to police reports. There was also dog food sprinkled on the boy's grave.
- Tabernacle Choir performs Handel's 'Messiah'...
- 2-year-old boy dies from accidental shooting...
- Police make arrest in death of 59-year-old...
- Salt Lake City Marathon comes with many...
- Western states to feds: Turn over public lands
- Two bodies discovered near Provo's Squaw Peak
- Film about man's crusade against child sex...
- No aftershocks from Saturday's Tooele quake
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion 90
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite... 78
- Utah, Oklahoma same-sex marriage cases... 47
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 38
- Appeals judges question right to sue in... 27
- Autopsies of 7 infants completed;... 24
- Texas seizes FLDS Church's secluded ranch 23
- 2-year-old boy dies from accidental... 16