Utah Utes football: Defensive tackle Star Lotulelei named first-team AP All-American
SALT LAKE CITY — Senior defensive tackle Star Lotulelei became Utah’s fourth first-team Associated Press All-American on Tuesday. The 6-foot-4, 320-pound senior joins defensive tackle Luther Elliss (1994), offensive tackle Jordan Gross (2002) and kicker Louie Sakoda (2008) in earning such recognition.
Lotulelei, who was named a Walter Camp All-American last week, made 42 tackles this season — including a team-high 11 behind the scrimmage. The 6-foot-4, 325-pound lineman also had five sacks, four fumble recoveries, four pass breakups and three forced fumbles.
Besides the four first-team honorees, nine other Utes have received All-America recognition from AP over the years. Recipients include: fullback Earl Pomeroy (third team, 1939); quarterback Lee Grosscup (second team, 1957); defensive back Norm Thompson (second team, 1970); defensive tackle Steve Clark (third team, 1981); offensive guard Carlton Walker (second team, 1984); offensive tackle Anthony Brown (third team, 1994); defensive back Morgan Scalley (second team, 2004); defensive back Eric Weddle (second team, 2006); and offensive lineman Caleb Schlauderaff (third team, 2010).
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 120
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 29
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 24
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 21
- AP All-Americans: Utah's Wright named... 19