Utah Utes football: Defensive tackle Star Lotulelei named first-team AP All-American
SALT LAKE CITY — Senior defensive tackle Star Lotulelei became Utah’s fourth first-team Associated Press All-American on Tuesday. The 6-foot-4, 320-pound senior joins defensive tackle Luther Elliss (1994), offensive tackle Jordan Gross (2002) and kicker Louie Sakoda (2008) in earning such recognition.
Lotulelei, who was named a Walter Camp All-American last week, made 42 tackles this season — including a team-high 11 behind the scrimmage. The 6-foot-4, 325-pound lineman also had five sacks, four fumble recoveries, four pass breakups and three forced fumbles.
Besides the four first-team honorees, nine other Utes have received All-America recognition from AP over the years. Recipients include: fullback Earl Pomeroy (third team, 1939); quarterback Lee Grosscup (second team, 1957); defensive back Norm Thompson (second team, 1970); defensive tackle Steve Clark (third team, 1981); offensive guard Carlton Walker (second team, 1984); offensive tackle Anthony Brown (third team, 1994); defensive back Morgan Scalley (second team, 2004); defensive back Eric Weddle (second team, 2006); and offensive lineman Caleb Schlauderaff (third team, 2010).
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's volleyball...
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner chasing...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule...
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Former Ute player among those invited to work...
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting niche
- Morning links: NBA post-up is not dead;...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 47
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 46
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 43
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 39
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby... 24
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 12
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8
- Utah State basketball: Aggie men to... 6