UVU basketball: Sammie Jensen garners GWC Player of the Week honors
NAPERVILLE, Ill. — Utah Valley University's Sammie Jensen has been named Great West Conference Women's Basketball Player of the Week after averaging 21.7 points and 11.7 rebounds in three games last week. The award was announced Tuesday by the league office.
Jensen, a senior from Stansbury Park, Utah, became the fifth player in UVU's Division I history to score 1,000 career points last week as she had 16 points in a two-point loss at Idaho State — a 2012 NCAA Tournament Team — on Saturday. The senior forward also helped UVU snap a six-game skid versus in-state rival Weber State last Tuesday by scoring 30 points and grabbing 15 rebounds against the Wildcats. Jensen currently leads the GWC in scoring with 18.5 points per game and rebounding (12.3) and also leads the nation in double-doubles with eight.
The weekly honor is Jensen's third of the season and eighth of her career.
Others nominated were NJIT's Rayven Johnson and Texas-Pan American's Jasmine Thompson.
UVU returns to the court Saturday at 2 p.m. at Northern Arizona.
James Warnick is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information about Wolverine athletics, visit www.WolverineGreen.com.
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's future...
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- Utahns in baseball: Former Ute Morin plays...
- Pac-12 preview: Oregon State opens the...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 114
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 54
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 44
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 32
- Whittingham says Hatfield is still... 26
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule... 22
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's... 22