Idling guzzles one-fourth a tank of gas per hour — some can even use one-half a tank. Turning off the engine while you wait for longer than a minute saves 1 to 4 cents a minute.
Anticipate the road
Maintaining speed, watching acceleration and how hard you brake will improve bad driving habits that use more gas.
Keep your distance
Stay three seconds behind the vehicle in front, so you can drive at a steady pace and not abruptly brake often.
Driving five miles over 60 can waste up to 31 cents of gas per gallon.
Speeding, braking and acceleration are heightened when drivers are in a rush. This can lower gas mileage by 33 percent on the highway and 5 percent in town.
Driving at a high or moderate rpm uses more gas than a low rpm. Generally, you should shift to a higher gear when the vehicle hits 2,000 rpm.
Maintaining the car
Optimal tire pressure, regular oil changes and considering the aerodynamics and weight all affect gas mileage. Tire pressure should be checked at least once a month. Taking out extra weight in the car can increase fuel economy.
- What it takes to be middle class in each state
- What could McDonald's do to fix its business?
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't be ashamed of...
- It can cost you $12,000 a year to buy...
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: A different view of the...
- Renovation Solutions: Three renovation...
- Review: Getting your Apple Watch? Here's how...
- She paid for a family's groceries and got...
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't be ashamed of... 17
- Happiness research inspired one... 14
- What could McDonald's do to fix its... 10
- Heavy reliance on US not sustainable,... 9
- She paid for a family's groceries and... 7
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: A different view... 6
- Are you ready to start using a digital... 5
- How much money should you be saving... 4