Idling guzzles one-fourth a tank of gas per hour — some can even use one-half a tank. Turning off the engine while you wait for longer than a minute saves 1 to 4 cents a minute.
Anticipate the road
Maintaining speed, watching acceleration and how hard you brake will improve bad driving habits that use more gas.
Keep your distance
Stay three seconds behind the vehicle in front, so you can drive at a steady pace and not abruptly brake often.
Driving five miles over 60 can waste up to 31 cents of gas per gallon.
Speeding, braking and acceleration are heightened when drivers are in a rush. This can lower gas mileage by 33 percent on the highway and 5 percent in town.
Driving at a high or moderate rpm uses more gas than a low rpm. Generally, you should shift to a higher gear when the vehicle hits 2,000 rpm.
Maintaining the car
Optimal tire pressure, regular oil changes and considering the aerodynamics and weight all affect gas mileage. Tire pressure should be checked at least once a month. Taking out extra weight in the car can increase fuel economy.
- Better than a raise: The smallest thing you...
- 10 Great Gift Ideas for People Who Have...
- 10 great gift ideas for people who have...
- Robots vs. minimum wage: As pressure grows on...
- What managing money has taught me about...
- Dave Ramsey says: Put a temporary stop to...
- The American Dream is still alive for 20...
- Balancing act: How connected is too connected...
- Robots vs. minimum wage: As pressure... 82
- The American Dream is still alive for... 11
- Better than a raise: The smallest thing... 11
- Most US workers unprepared to meet... 8
- Insurance agents feeling left out of... 8
- Are extended warranties on gadgets... 7
- What do the new jobs numbers mean? 7
- Dave Ramsey says: Put a temporary stop... 6