BYU women's basketball: Haley Steed picks up three weekly honors
PROVO, Utah – For her performance last week, BYU’s Haley Steed picked up three player of the week honors. She was named the West Coast Conference Women’s Basketball Player of the Week, ESPN’s Women’s Basketball Player of the Week and High Major Conference Player of the Week by CollegeSportsMadness.com.
Steed, a 5-foot-4 guard from Syracuse, Utah, scored 44 points in two games helping the Cougars beat in-state rivals Utah State and Utah.
Against the Aggies, she picked up her first double-double of the season with 22 points and 12 assists. The 12 assists were game highs and were enough to put her in first place all-time in assists at BYU. She also tied her career high in 3-pointers made with six. All but four of her total of 22 points came from behind the arc. Steed was perfect from the charity stripe going 4-for-4.
In the road game at Utah, she tied her season-best with 22 points to go along with six rebounds, three assists and one steal. She led all scorers in the in-state rival Utah contest and led in assists. The points also gave her enough to become BYU’s 23rd player to reach the 1,000-point club. She finished the game with 1,012 career points, which places her in 20th place overall in BYU’s exclusive 1,000-point club.
For the week, Steed averaged 22.0 points, 5.0 rebounds and 7.6 assists while shooting 47 percent from the field and 50 percent from the free-throw line and from 3-point range.
She’s the team’s fourth leading scorer (9.1 ppg) and is at the top of the leader board in both assists and steals with a total of 67 and 20, respectively.
Norma Collett is the athletic communications director for the BYU women's basketball team. She can be reached at 801-422-4908 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
- The 16 most interesting college lists...
- Red and blue recruits: Inside Britain Covey's...
- Faith and family are driving forces for LDS...
- 2015 BYU Commits
- 2015 Utah Football Commits
- Dick Harmon: College football recruiters are...
- Former Utah basketball player spreads hope...
- Best in class: Breaking down the recruiting...
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 79
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 66
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 62
- Bruins bruise Utes in 69-59 upset 40
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 39
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 36
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 35
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35