BYU women's basketball: Haley Steed picks up three weekly honors
PROVO, Utah – For her performance last week, BYU’s Haley Steed picked up three player of the week honors. She was named the West Coast Conference Women’s Basketball Player of the Week, ESPN’s Women’s Basketball Player of the Week and High Major Conference Player of the Week by CollegeSportsMadness.com.
Steed, a 5-foot-4 guard from Syracuse, Utah, scored 44 points in two games helping the Cougars beat in-state rivals Utah State and Utah.
Against the Aggies, she picked up her first double-double of the season with 22 points and 12 assists. The 12 assists were game highs and were enough to put her in first place all-time in assists at BYU. She also tied her career high in 3-pointers made with six. All but four of her total of 22 points came from behind the arc. Steed was perfect from the charity stripe going 4-for-4.
In the road game at Utah, she tied her season-best with 22 points to go along with six rebounds, three assists and one steal. She led all scorers in the in-state rival Utah contest and led in assists. The points also gave her enough to become BYU’s 23rd player to reach the 1,000-point club. She finished the game with 1,012 career points, which places her in 20th place overall in BYU’s exclusive 1,000-point club.
For the week, Steed averaged 22.0 points, 5.0 rebounds and 7.6 assists while shooting 47 percent from the field and 50 percent from the free-throw line and from 3-point range.
She’s the team’s fourth leading scorer (9.1 ppg) and is at the top of the leader board in both assists and steals with a total of 67 and 20, respectively.
Norma Collett is the athletic communications director for the BYU women's basketball team. She can be reached at 801-422-4908 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Utah Jazz give key starters a break in 98-91...
- Booker-ing ram and broken dreams: Midseason...
- Amy Donaldson: Not deciding on a starting...
- Report: Former BYU receiver Cody Hoffman to...
- Utes continue Pac-12 'meat grinder' with...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 46
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 32
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 25