UVU basketball: Holton Hunsaker named Great West Player of the Week
Shane Truskolaski, UVU Athletics
NAPERVILLE, Ill. — For the second straight week, Utah Valley University guard Holton Hunsaker has been named the Great West Conference Player of the Week. The junior, who shared the award last week, scored a career-high 32 in a win at Troy. The league office announced the award Monday.
The Wolverines topped the Troy Trojans, 86-82, in a double-overtime thriller Saturday. Hunsaker also scored 12 in an earlier loss last week at Weber State.
"Holton's a hard-working, committed player and it's nice to see his efforts recognized," said head coach Dick Hunsaker of the All-Great West Conference and All-Academic performer.
Hunsaker connected on five 3-pointers on the night and hit 11-for-18 from the field overall. His three with one minute left in overtime sent the game to the second extra frame and his fifth trey of the night, with 1:20 left, gave the Wolverines a six-point lead on the way to the win. He also dished out six assists.
Utah Valley has the week off during finals but prepares for a Saturday game with in-state foe Utah State at 7:05 p.m. in the UCCU Center. That game can be seen nationwide on Fox College Sports.
Clint Burgi is the assistant athletic director for sports information at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- A look at how freshmen have fared with NBA...
- High school softball: A closer look at this...
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Former NBA MVP Derrick Rose traded from Bulls...
- NHL coming to Las Vegas; New team to start...
- Massive crowd engulfs Cleveland, champion...
- Chile beats Colombia 2-0 to return to Copa...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 60
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 27
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 25
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 14