Interfaith concert celebrates birth, life of Jesus Christ
Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Members of a half-dozen religions mixed their voices together at Temple Square on Saturday to celebrate the birth and life of Jesus Christ.
"A Celebration of Christ," an interfaith concert performed inside the Tabernacle, featured the Celebration of Christ Choirs and Orchestra, the Salt Lake Children's Choir and the Park City Treble Makers Women's Choir.
The choirs are made up of members from Episcopalian, First Baptist, LDS, Methodist and Presbyterian churches and the Catholic Dioceses.
"I think our youth are bringing people together, saying, 'We are all for one God. It doesn't matter what religion you are or what faith you practice,'" said Ginger Flowers, who attended the concert with her husband, Keith.
Flowers said this was the first time youth from Calvary Baptist Church have participated in such an event.
"We don't hold back," said Leslie Henderson, who attends the Calvary Baptist Church. "We are a praising type of choir."
Keith Flowers said he enjoyed seeing the various faiths coming together to celebrate Christ.
"It is nice to see the differences and the way they approach it," he said. "The message is the same, and the sounds are a little bit different, which is nice. It's like a fruit cocktail."
Camille and Brett Bullock, who also attended the concert, said they enjoyed the diversity at the event.
"I thought it was delightful," Camille Bullock said, adding that she liked the way the different faiths united under shared principles.
The concert featured songs from all of the participating churches, with performances by the individual choirs and as a combined group.
- Strack family: Search warrants begin 'to...
- Prison relocation process slows down
- New poll shows Love, Owens race tightens;...
- Crash on U.S. 40 west of Vernal injures 3,...
- Search warrants: Poisoning suspected in...
- Orem’s most notorious eyesore to be...
- 'Primary suspect' identified in national park...
- Three amendments to Utah Constitution on the...
- Doug Owens ahead of Mia Love in new poll 59
- Most Utah students aren't proficient in... 54
- New poll shows Love, Owens race... 45
- State autopsy: Police shot Darrien Hunt... 34
- Officers say they shot Darrien Hunt out... 30
- Final debate between Mia Love and Doug... 27
- Utah among lowest in nation in... 21
- 'The time is right' for a digital... 21