Man shot after concerned, armed neighbor intervenes in domestic dispute
WEST JORDAN — A resident who was walking his dog at an apartment complex became involved in a domestic dispute between a man and woman early Saturday that ended in one man getting shot and surviving serious injuries.
A boyfriend and girlfriend were yelling at each other in the parking lot of the Woodgate Apartments at Jordan Landing, 3851 Cobble Ridge Drive, about 1 a.m., when another resident intervened, said West Jordan police officer J.C. Holt.
The man asked the woman if she was OK, but the fight escalated from there, involving the boyfriend in a physical altercation, Holt said.
The resident was armed with a handgun, and at some point, the gun came out and the boyfriend was shot in the pelvic region, police said.
"There was a lot of blood loss at the scene," Holt said, adding that the shot might have ruptured the man's femoral artery. The man was taken to the hospital and remained in critical condition Saturday.
The resident was also taken to the hospital for treatment of minor cuts and bruises on his head and face.
Holt said detectives are sifting through details, trying to piece together why the gun became involved and who, if anyone, is at fault. No arrests had been made Saturday afternoon.
"Sometimes when you intervene in a situation, you can't predict the outcome," Holt said, adding that in most cases, passersby should call police for help if they witness any kind of incident that may be deemed as potentially dangerous. "If you feel like you need to intervene, that's a personal decision, I guess."
The two men live in the same apartment complex. Police did not release the names of the individuals involved in the fight.
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- Little Emmanuel's journey home a tale of...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Mothers of kidnapped Bountiful girls speak out
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Mountain lion caught in Foothill neighborhood...
- Watch out for Utah Highway Patrol 'slow-down'...
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 162
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 83
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 38
- Police release names of officers... 37
- Mitt Romney to campaign for Mia Love in... 18
- Can Utah solve its surprising binge... 17
- Utah’s water future: Develop or... 14
- The ghosts under our feet: 88... 10