High school boys basketball: Pleasant Grove guard Forrest Pincock helps lead Vikes to win over Payson
PLEASANT GROVE — Pleasant Grove junior guard Forrest Pincock may have started cold Friday night against Payson, but he sure warmed up later in the game.
Pincock's first 12 points all came on four 3-pointers, and his efforts ultimately helped lead Pleasant Grove to a 74-60 victory. Pincock led all scorers with 19 points and had half of his team's eight 3-point baskets.
"The score didn't really show the differences between these two teams," said Payson assistant coach Craig Buys. "Pleasant Grove has a really good team. They are ranked pretty high in the state."
With four minutes to go in the fourth quarter, Viking coach Randy McAllister pulled out all of his starters so his bench players could get some floor time. Payson took advantage, however, and got the score to within 10 points before McAllister sent his starting guys back to the court.
"I got nervous because they were making a comeback," said McAllister. "I put my starters back in with less than a minute to play just to make sure we wouldn't let this game slip away."
Pleasant Grove now has a 3-1 record so far this young season, with wins over West Jordan, Maple Mountain and Payson. The Vikes lost a close game with Jordan on Tuesday, 78-74.
"We want to win games by playing tough defense," said McAllister. "We gave up 78 points to a team because we played poor defense. We were down by 16 points in the last period and we came back to within two, but we were just that much too late".
Payson now has a 1-4 record and will face Springville next Tuesday and Salem Hills Friday. The Lions' leading scorer was junior Brycen Wood with 17 points, including four treys. Senior Kaleb Wright was next with 16 points. Daniel Reno contributed nine points.
Beside Pincock, junior transfer Matt Conway and sophomore Riley Court each added 12 points. The Vikings next face Westlake on Tuesday and Timpanogos back home on Friday.
Kent Allen lives in Pleasant Grove and writes for Deseret Connect, covering Pleasant Grove High School Varsity sports.
- High school boys track: Davis wins another 5A...
- If hired, Jeff Hornacek will face same...
- Dick Harmon: BYU coach Mike Littlewood...
- High school girls track: Davis wins...
- High school football: Orem player responds...
- The offseason status of NFL players with Utah...
- Mormon NFL safety Eric Weddle: Balancing...
- High school baseball: Snow Canyon overcomes...
- USA Rugby: 'What BYU won ... was a... 75
- Mormon NFL safety Eric Weddle:... 66
- Ryan Teeples: Ziggy Ansah's story... 64
- Utes football recruiting: Polynesian... 62
- High school baseball: 5A, 4A state... 49
- High school football: Riley Nelson... 27
- Utah Utes football: Dr. Chris Hill... 23
- BYU, Ute baseball: Cougars come back... 21