Westminster basketball: winning streak reaches eight with 68-48 win
IRVINE, Calif. – Behind a strong first half, the fourth-ranked Westminster College women’s basketball team cruised to a 68-48 win over Concordia (Calif.) on Friday night.
Westminster improves to 8-1 on the season with an eighth straight victory. The loss drops Concordia to 1-6 on the year.
The Griffins had three players score in double figures with Brooke Larsen leading the way by matching her career high with 17 points. Larsen made seven of her 12 attempts and went 3-of-5 at the foul line while grabbing eight rebounds and two steals.
Nicole Yazzie finished with 15 points with three makes from beyond the arc and eight assists. Allie Eastman had 14 points and five rebounds while also making three triples. Cydney Tibbitts and Tia Pappas came up with 12 rebounds apiece.
Westminster shot 41.5 percent from the floor in the game and made nine threes. The Griffins finished with 20 assists and only 10 turnovers and held a 49-32 edge in the boards. They had 19 offensive rebounds, which resulted in 21 points. They held Concordia to 32.7 percent shooting and forced 14 turnovers.
After giving up a three to CUI to start the game, Westminster put together a 16-2 run over the next nine minutes to build a 16-5 advantage with 11:32 remaining in the first half. The Griffins got a three from Kelsi Wells and another from Yazzie in back-to-back possessions in the half to open up 17 point advantage to eventually lead 37-16 at the half.
Carly Bishop led the Eagles with 14 points and made four treys off the bench. Jade Reed added eight bench points, while Katie Ogden and Ashley Engelin scored seven apiece.
The Griffins now move on to a Saturday showdown against No. 3 Vanguard. The action tips off at 1 p.m. MT in Costa Mesa, Calif.
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by media...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to Cleveland...
- The original BCS busters: Looking back at...
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not on...
- Utah's Fiesta Bowl championship team: Where...
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake team...
- Utah Jazz: Latest acquisition Booker aims to...
- Utah football: Pac-12 Football Media Day Central
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 225
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by... 93
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is... 76
- The original BCS busters: Looking back... 46
- ACC media days has some interesting... 43
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not... 41
- Utah's better BCS buster, 2004 or 2008? 27
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to... 26