Utah State men's basketball: Danny Berger addresses media, health improves substantially (+video)
Danny Berger spoke with the media today about the dangerous incident that nearly cost him his life. He also revealed some new information about the status of his health and his course of action moving forward.
In a press conference, Berger revealed that a defibrillator has been implanted in his heart to help mitigate the risk of any future cardiac episodes. He said that if all goes well, he could be cleared by doctors to be back on the court within three weeks, shortly after USU's WAC schedule begins.
Tuesday, Berger collapsed into the arms of teammate Kyisean Reed during practice, and his heart stopped. Team trainer Mike Williams administered CPR and used a defibrillator to keep Berger alive. Berger was then rushed to Logan Regional Hospital and then flown to Intermountain Health Center in Murray.
Because of the incident, the game between BYU and USU, originally scheduled for Wednesday night, was postponed. Saturday's game between the Aggies and Western Oregon, however, is scheduled to be played. Berger told the media as part of his news conference today that he and his family would be in attendance at that game.
More details on this story are forthcoming.
Landon Hemsley is Sports Content Manager for DeseretNews.com.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 120
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 33
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 22
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21