Hospitalized USU player Danny Berger receives visit from Utah Jazz
Ravell Call, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Danny Berger's life-threatening incident at Utah State earlier this week caught the sympathetic attention of his favorite NBA basketball team.
Jazz coach Tyrone Corbin and shooting guard Gordon Hayward both went to the hospital to visit the 22-year-old, who collapsed during a practice and required CPR and medical help from USU trainer Mike Williams to be revived.
Corbin, who has two children in Berger's age range, said they felt the basketball player's pain.
"He's a part of Utah," Corbin said. "We're Utah and he's a kid that's had a tough time. I have a kid myself who's a basketball player (SLCC's Tyrell Corbin)."
Hayward was informed of Berger's situation from trainer Gary Briggs, and he felt it was important to try to visit the player and Jazz fan.
Unfortunately, however, that didn't happen.
Berger had to take some tests at the hospital while Hayward was there. The Jazz player visited with his family for 45 minutes and hopes to catch up with the Aggie, perhaps today before the Jazz head to Los Angeles.
"That's a scary moment for anybody that plays sports," Hayward said. "So I just wanted to go there and visit with the family and say, 'Hi,' and see how he was doing."
Corbin was reluctant to talk about his visit at first, preferring to keep it private, but elaborated a bit before Friday's game against Toronto.
"I hope he's doing well," Corbin said. "I just wanted to have an opportunity to encourage him to continue to fight."
Hayward was horrified when he heard the details, including the fact the USU trainer used the AED to bring Berger back to life.
"It had to be scary for everyone on the court," he said, "and obviously his family was probably freaking out."
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 120
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 23
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 22