Utah Jazz: No Al Jefferson or Derrick Favors tonight, but Mo Williams will play
SALT LAKE CITY — In more ways than one, the Utah Jazz have been downsized for tonight's game against the Toronto Raptors.
The Jazz won't have starting center Al Jefferson (back spasms) or backup forward Derrick Favors (strained right arch) available for action, leaving them undersized and understaffed in the big man department.
Mo Williams will start, however, after missing this morning's shootaround because of what the training staff described as "gastric distress."
In Jefferson's place, Turkish center Enes Kanter will get his first career start.
"It should be exciting," Jazz coach Tyrone Corbin said. "He's been champing at the bit for an opportunity to get more time on the floor. He should be excited, and I think he is. I'm excited for him. We're looking forward to him having a great game tonight."
Jeremy Evans will be the Jazz's only backup big man available against the Raptors, who have only won four games overall and have a 1-11 road record.
Starting small forward Marvin Williams could also see time at the power forward spot.
"The guys have been very, very responsive to making adjustments," Corbin said. "Tonight will be a night where we may have to make a few more than usual. But it's still basketball, and we'll put guys in position to have a chance to be successful."
Toronto's probable starters include guards Kyle Lowry and DeMar DeRozan, forwards Mickael Pietrus and 7-footer Andrew Bargnani and 6-11 center Jonas Valanciunas.
Utah outlasted Toronto 140-133 in triple overtime last month.
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- An early look at the preseason Heisman hopefuls
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're proud...
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- A good life: Former Weber State, NFL...
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working to be...
- Doug Robinson: Violence against women is...
- Recruiting central: Top 25 prep football...
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 104
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 102
- Utah quarterback Travis Wilson cited... 99
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 50
- Playoffs ‘almost... 36
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're... 33
- Former Ute Zane Beadles donates... 27
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face 26