Unlike Karl Malone, Paul Millsap hadn't heard of the hubbub over the Louisiana Tech football dilemma until it was brought to his attention by a basketball reporter.
Despite going 9-3 and having BCS-busting dreams, the Bulldogs won't be playing in a bowl game this postseason after essentially turning down an invitation to participate in the Independence Bowl in hopes of being invited elsewhere.
"Wow," replied Millsap, who also played for Louisiana Tech in college like Malone. "That's tough."
Speaking of tough, that's how Malone treated his old school's athletic director, Bruce Van De Velde, for allowing the situation to happen. The Mailman tweeted up a storm Sunday, saying he was "heartbroken and embarrassed" by his university's bowl blunder.
"Now it's time to get former athletes to run our program," Malone tweeted. "I'm 6-9 and not hard to find."
Malone also wrote, "TechNation what I have been saying for a long time, start hiring former tech athletes to get the pride back into The university and athletics. ... Whoever made this (decision) have the (guts) to tell the guys why. As one alumni of La. Tech I want to know why."
Though disappointed by the news, Millsap's reaction was far less bitter than the other La. Tech power forward in the Jazz family.
"It's a tough situation. I wouldn't go that far and say that (what Malone did), but it is bad on the players," Millsap said. "They worked so hard all season and to not be able to play in a bowl game, that's tough."
Millsap chuckled when told Malone had lobbied to become athletic director. His assessment of how the Hall of Famer would do in that capacity?
"I don't know," Millsap said, grinning. "I don't know his qualifications as an athletic director, but he may be able to do something. Who knows?"
La. Tech finished third this season in the WAC behind Utah State and San Jose State.
- BYU basketball: Confident San Francisco...
- Ranking the best NBA players to ever come out...
- Former Lone Peak center Justin Hamilton makes...
- 15 lessons learned from a BYU rugby game
- Basketball bonds: Hoops have tied Utah star...
- Utah Jazz: Boos for Paul Millsap?...
- Photo story: What teenagers taught me at the...
- High school boys basketball: TJ Haws' career...
- Utah basketball: Utes clip Cal in... 84
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 72
- High school boys basketball: 5A/4A/1A... 57
- BYU football: Practice fights elicit... 57
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of... 34
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes eager to... 29
- BYU basketball: Bottom seed LMU knocks... 26
- Krystkowiak asks Runnin' Utes to stay... 24