Book shares how-to tips for homemakers — everything from laundry to finances
To go from student or budding career woman to new homemaker presents a bit of a stretch for some. Yet authors Elyssa Andrus and Natalie Hollingshead suggest it’s not only possible to create an efficiently functioning home, but the process can be highly rewarding and enjoyable as well.
While their book “Happy Homemaking” (Cedar Fort, $16.99) is subtitled “An LDS Girl’s Guide,” the tips are somewhat evergreen. After all, they say, homemaking skills are for “everyone, really, regardless of age, income or gender.” Besides, “thrift, industry, and homemaking never go out of style.”
Here are some that are high on the “homemaker happiness” scale:
1. Money: Smart — and happy — money management requires a way to earn money, track it and save it. For example, to save on clothes, the authors suggest “consider hosting a clothing-swap party with your friends” or “trade your old clothes in for cash or trade.”
2. Cooking: “One of the coolest things about cooking is it’s a skill you will likely practice on some level every day of your life.” Recipes and cooking tricks can be found in cookbooks, on Internet sites and blogs and on TV cooking shows.
3. Food storage: To save money and stress, “set an amount for food storage in your grocery budget and stick to it.” Then, shop case lot sales or membership warehouses.
4. Laundry: “Laundry may be a chore, but it doesn’t have to feel like one.” Just having the right attitude can help. “Instead of merely doing laundry, you’re saving money, preserving your wardrobe, and improving your image!”
5. By the book: As in any arena, when it comes to homemaking, knowledge is power. By learning basic cooking terms, product benefits and sewing skills, the job of homemaker will not only be easier, but much more enjoyable as well.
Cecily Markland is a freelance writer, book editor, publicist and author of "Hope: One Mile Ahead" and the children’s book "If I Made a Bug." She owns Inglestone Publishing and produces cecilymarkland.com, a calendar of LDS events in Arizona.
- 'Saturday's Warrior' director shares details...
- Jerry Earl Johnston: Do you fit the Mormon...
- LDS missionaries cover David Archuleta's...
- Who decides if a law restricts a religious...
- Defending the Faith: Did Book of Mormon...
- Defending the Faith: Joseph Smith's vision of...
- Temple Square opens 3 new exhibits
- Old Rock Church tours open doors to historic...
- Defending the Faith: Did Book of Mormon... 137
- Jerry Earl Johnston: Do you fit the... 28
- Who decides if a law restricts a... 22
- 'Saturday's Warrior' director shares... 13
- Defending the Faith: Joseph Smith's... 13
- The Rohingyas: A look into one of the... 8
- 34 of the most beautiful churches from... 7
- Who are ‘the least of... 7