Book shares how-to tips for homemakers — everything from laundry to finances
To go from student or budding career woman to new homemaker presents a bit of a stretch for some. Yet authors Elyssa Andrus and Natalie Hollingshead suggest it’s not only possible to create an efficiently functioning home, but the process can be highly rewarding and enjoyable as well.
While their book “Happy Homemaking” (Cedar Fort, $16.99) is subtitled “An LDS Girl’s Guide,” the tips are somewhat evergreen. After all, they say, homemaking skills are for “everyone, really, regardless of age, income or gender.” Besides, “thrift, industry, and homemaking never go out of style.”
Here are some that are high on the “homemaker happiness” scale:
1. Money: Smart — and happy — money management requires a way to earn money, track it and save it. For example, to save on clothes, the authors suggest “consider hosting a clothing-swap party with your friends” or “trade your old clothes in for cash or trade.”
2. Cooking: “One of the coolest things about cooking is it’s a skill you will likely practice on some level every day of your life.” Recipes and cooking tricks can be found in cookbooks, on Internet sites and blogs and on TV cooking shows.
3. Food storage: To save money and stress, “set an amount for food storage in your grocery budget and stick to it.” Then, shop case lot sales or membership warehouses.
4. Laundry: “Laundry may be a chore, but it doesn’t have to feel like one.” Just having the right attitude can help. “Instead of merely doing laundry, you’re saving money, preserving your wardrobe, and improving your image!”
5. By the book: As in any arena, when it comes to homemaking, knowledge is power. By learning basic cooking terms, product benefits and sewing skills, the job of homemaker will not only be easier, but much more enjoyable as well.
Cecily Markland is a freelance writer, book editor, publicist and author of "Hope: One Mile Ahead" and the children’s book "If I Made a Bug." She owns Inglestone Publishing and produces cecilymarkland.com, a calendar of LDS events in Arizona.
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir announces rare,...
- When Satan steals your motherhood
- Wright Words: Idaho woman learns to...
- Ask Angela: I suffered from depression,...
- Can the return of 'Cosmos' extend the scope...
- Profane, award-winning 'Book of Mormon'...
- Church History Symposium examines Mormonism's...
- LDS World: Receiving comfort in our afflictions
- Gay marriage debate is changing how... 89
- Profane, award-winning 'Book of Mormon'... 63
- When Satan steals your motherhood 46
- Defending the Faith: Where is Mount Sinai? 24
- Local religious leaders urge support... 24
- Director Darren Aronofsky’s... 20
- Actress Leah Remini criticized after... 15
- Some LDS missionaries coming home from... 13