Bicyclist killed in hit-and-run accident in Salt Lake City
SALT LAKE CITY — A bicyclist was killed in a hit-and-run accident Thursday, leaving police searching for answers about the driver who may have hit the man.
Salt Lake City Police Lt. Josh Scharman said officers received reports of a cyclist down in the road near the intersection of California Avenue and Fortune Road about 6:30 p.m. and arrived to find a man in critical condition.
The man was transported to an area hospital, where he was pronounced dead. His name was not released Thursday night.
Witnesses told officers a newer-model white van was seen leaving the area, but police aren't sure whether the vehicle was involved in the accident. Witnesses told police they heard sounds of braking and a possible impact but didn't see the collision.
Westbound traffic on California Avenue was restricted to one lane for several hours after the accident while police investigated the scene.
- Celebrate summer fun with a photographic look...
- No national launch for Draft Mitt effort
- Southern Utah infant dies after being left in...
- Review board clears Salt Lake police officer...
- Police say son beat 70-year-old father to death
- Proposal: Real Salt Lake would pay for minor...
- Uintah County man accused of assaulting...
- Understanding Israel and Hamas: Why this...
- 67 unaccompanied children who crossed... 78
- Republican, Democratic political... 49
- No national launch for Draft Mitt effort 44
- Cartel presence in Utah 'exploding'... 33
- Pro-Palestinian crowd rallies in Salt... 33
- Review board clears Salt Lake police... 30
- Lawsuit claims State School Board... 29
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 26