Bicyclist killed in hit-and-run accident in Salt Lake City
SALT LAKE CITY — A bicyclist was killed in a hit-and-run accident Thursday, leaving police searching for answers about the driver who may have hit the man.
Salt Lake City Police Lt. Josh Scharman said officers received reports of a cyclist down in the road near the intersection of California Avenue and Fortune Road about 6:30 p.m. and arrived to find a man in critical condition.
The man was transported to an area hospital, where he was pronounced dead. His name was not released Thursday night.
Witnesses told officers a newer-model white van was seen leaving the area, but police aren't sure whether the vehicle was involved in the accident. Witnesses told police they heard sounds of braking and a possible impact but didn't see the collision.
Westbound traffic on California Avenue was restricted to one lane for several hours after the accident while police investigated the scene.
- Summer downpour causes flooding, slides...
- Swallow, Shurtleff make first court...
- Utah leads the nation in deadly melanoma cases
- Provo's waffle truck started by a motivated...
- Project to restore Manti Tabernacle underway
- Video of school bus driver shows 'bizarre'...
- Long road to trial begins Wednesday for...
- Settlement in dog shooting case reached, then...
- Republican, Democratic political... 30
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 25
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows... 22
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes... 21
- Swallow, Shurtleff make first court... 19
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 18
- Critics decry solar fee as 'sun' tax 17
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake... 12