SALT LAKE CITY — A bicyclist was killed in a hit-and-run accident Thursday, leaving police searching for answers about the driver who may have hit the man.
Salt Lake City Police Lt. Josh Scharman said officers received reports of a cyclist down in the road near the intersection of California Avenue and Fortune Road about 6:30 p.m. and arrived to find a man in critical condition.
The man was transported to an area hospital, where he was pronounced dead. His name was not released Thursday night.
Witnesses told officers a newer-model white van was seen leaving the area, but police aren't sure whether the vehicle was involved in the accident. Witnesses told police they heard sounds of braking and a possible impact but didn't see the collision.
Westbound traffic on California Avenue was restricted to one lane for several hours after the accident while police investigated the scene.
- Search for Susan Cox Powell is over, West...
- S.L. draws up airport plans
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah Scout...
- Couples registry gets preliminary nod from...
- Warrants issued for 3 suspects in beating...
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet, passes away
- 'Mantiques' could be a ticket to more cash
- Father vows to keep looking for Susan Cox Powell
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet,... 66
- Mia Love announces she's officially... 42
- GOP delegates reject changes to... 31
- S.L. draws up airport plans 30
- XanGo co-founder accuses partners of... 23
- Search for Susan Cox Powell is over,... 20
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah... 19
- Gov. Gary Herbert tells Washington... 14