Bicyclist killed in hit-and-run accident in Salt Lake City
SALT LAKE CITY — A bicyclist was killed in a hit-and-run accident Thursday, leaving police searching for answers about the driver who may have hit the man.
Salt Lake City Police Lt. Josh Scharman said officers received reports of a cyclist down in the road near the intersection of California Avenue and Fortune Road about 6:30 p.m. and arrived to find a man in critical condition.
The man was transported to an area hospital, where he was pronounced dead. His name was not released Thursday night.
Witnesses told officers a newer-model white van was seen leaving the area, but police aren't sure whether the vehicle was involved in the accident. Witnesses told police they heard sounds of braking and a possible impact but didn't see the collision.
Westbound traffic on California Avenue was restricted to one lane for several hours after the accident while police investigated the scene.
- Hillcrest students, others show support for...
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global audience,...
- New details in court reveal alleged shooter...
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on dietary...
- Harley rider killed in accident identified
- Despite rain, Utahns still have plenty of...
- Mia Love pushing higher education act
- Man dies after rock climbing fall in Cache...
- How do Utah wages stack up nationally? 50
- Koch brothers group launches Utah chapter 42
- First prison relocation open house... 38
- Congressional delegation not impressing... 32
- Legalize medical marijuana? Utahns... 28
- S.L. City Council, mayor seek... 28
- Prosecutors file new charge against... 20
- Utah's air pollution problem: What does... 17