Bicyclist killed in hit-and-run accident in Salt Lake City
SALT LAKE CITY — A bicyclist was killed in a hit-and-run accident Thursday, leaving police searching for answers about the driver who may have hit the man.
Salt Lake City Police Lt. Josh Scharman said officers received reports of a cyclist down in the road near the intersection of California Avenue and Fortune Road about 6:30 p.m. and arrived to find a man in critical condition.
The man was transported to an area hospital, where he was pronounced dead. His name was not released Thursday night.
Witnesses told officers a newer-model white van was seen leaving the area, but police aren't sure whether the vehicle was involved in the accident. Witnesses told police they heard sounds of braking and a possible impact but didn't see the collision.
Westbound traffic on California Avenue was restricted to one lane for several hours after the accident while police investigated the scene.
- Rep. Justin Miller pleads guilty to...
- Photo gallery: Night skies over national parks
- Pres. Nelson honored by the University of Utah
- Police seek alleged drug money from woman...
- Rep. Jason Chaffetz says he wouldn't run...
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with...
- Utah man impresses all four judges on 'The...
- Inmate charged with sending threatening...
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with... 68
- Chaffetz's run for speaker makes... 47
- Utah cites Warren Jeffs as reason... 42
- Scholars disagree whether compromise... 41
- Gov. Herbert says latest Medicaid... 29
- Proposal calls for 900 South to be... 20
- Judge dismisses negligence lawsuit... 15
- Lawmakers hear support for Medicaid... 15